Home
Registration
Login
Welcome Guest

RSS

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » How did you get into wargaming etc? (Doing a little research and would value your input.)
How did you get into wargaming etc?
p1fxDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 19:19:51 | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Confirmed
Can I ask how folk got into wargames or rpg's etc, what got you started in the hobby? friends? books/movies?

zellakDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 19:33:37 | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Member
I bought a magazine in Glasgow Central railway station in 1977 called "Battle for Wargamers"

And was hooked.

Seen a poster in Saltcoats library, 1978.

We formed a club, meeting in each others houses, playing D&D and boardgames.

Me and Che are the only ones left from that original group.

We were called the Cunninghame Boardgames Club.

The name was changed later dry ....i missed the meeting. And we were rebranded the NAWC.

Over the years we have used a number of venues....

Saltcoats town hall / Irvine Conservative and Unionist hall / Ardrossan Community Centre. (among a few)

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 20:24:22 | Message # 3
Colonel
Brilliant reply Z cheers. My next question was going to be about the history of the club itself, you really should put it up on here and be proud of it, you have got to be one of the longest running clubs in Scotland surely?

Very interested to know the various venues used, if you can elaborate on those above.

So after this magazine buy in central did you go out and get minis etc or did that happen after you saw the poster in the library? btw what was the poster for, this club?

Added (21-Apr-2014, 7:24 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Still wanting to hear how other folk got into the hobby though.

BanksiDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 21:24:44 | Message # 4
Major general
Group: Administrators
For my part, It's all Roddy's fault!!!, He got me interested in wargames,

Of course I know your name, it's your face I can't remember - Parahandy

zellakDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 22:01:07 | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Quote p1fx ()
Very interested to know the various venues used, if you can elaborate on those above.

I'm a bit fuzzy on some of those wacko .... i know Ardrossan Community centre was demolished years ago.

Quote p1fx
So after this magazine buy in central did you go out and get minis etc or did that happen after you saw the poster in the library?

Nope.... bought WRG rules and learned them inside out....but never played them til years later, when the club got bigger and we started moving away from boardgames and D&D and got into miniature wargaming. My first army was 15mm Huns, WRG Ancients being my thing.
Message edited by zellak - Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 22:02:15

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 22:04:01 | Message # 6
Colonel
When did the club move down to Irvine?

Added (21-Apr-2014, 9:04 PM)
and was there a particular reason for this?

zellakDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 22:09:00 | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Quote p1fx ()
btw what was the poster for, this club?

Yes the original group of 4 people who started the club.

Me, Che, David White and Ian Forsyth.

We were the core players with a few other part timers.

p1fxDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 22:10:27 | Message # 8
Colonel
You really should write up the clubs history and then post it on the website somewhere, so folk can read about it and see how long it has been established.

zellakDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 22:15:00 | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Quote p1fx ()
When did the club move down to Irvine?

and was there a particular reason for this?

We got bigger and needed more space, one of the guys from Irvine, who had some political connections got us the Conservative and Unionist halls.

That must have been the middle 1980s.

Added (21-Apr-2014, 9:15 PM)

Quote p1fx ()
You really should write up the clubs history and then post it on the website somewhere

We can just direct them to this thread LOL. biggrin

p1fxDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 22:16:03 | Message # 10
Colonel
Ah and so you have been down there since. I did wonder if it would be in the eighties what with all the expansion in Irvine around then. Shame it left the three towns area though.

Added (21-Apr-2014, 9:16 PM)
When did you move into your current location?

zellakDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 22:22:44 | Message # 11
Generalissimo
Quote p1fx ()
Shame it left the three towns area though.

Irvine is more central, most of the players are from Irvine, a few from the 3toons & Ayr.

So Irvine is best. ( and not to far from West Kilbride. wink )

Added (21-Apr-2014, 9:22 PM)

Quote p1fx ()
When did you move into your current location?

I really don't know, it would be best to get that from someone who has always been a member since we moved....

Ross might know ?

p1fxDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 22:30:59 | Message # 12
Colonel
Quote zellak ()
Irvine is more central, most of the players are from Irvine, a few from the 3toons & Ayr.

Ah I see the majority of players from Irvine then. Ayr is a surprise, esp given there are a few clubs in Ayr and one in Prestwick.

Quote zellak ()
( and not to far from West Kilbride. )

No Distance wise it aint far from Kilbride, but it's still a pain to get to from Kilbride and not cheap on the old train. sad
Hell distance wise Glasgow aint that far from here but in travel terms it's a hurdle.

zellakDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 22:39:36 | Message # 13
Generalissimo
And there are some very good clubs in Glasgow.

p1fxDate: Monday, 21-Apr-2014, 22:43:53 | Message # 14
Colonel
Yup, have been invited along to a few of them as I have some mates who go to them as they stay up there. But alas getting to them is a bit of an issue at present.

CheDate: Tuesday, 22-Apr-2014, 18:03:41 | Message # 15
Lieutenant general
wink
Message edited by Che - Tuesday, 22-Apr-2014, 18:04:53

Wargamers like to paint their privates!!

p1fxDate: Tuesday, 22-Apr-2014, 22:44:34 | Message # 16
Colonel
senile

Added (22-Apr-2014, 9:44 PM)
Still on the club subject, have there been any big shifts in attendance at any points over the years or have numbers been fairly consistent? any major club highlights? eg, convention demo's, tournaments etc

Also how do the club deal with the purchasing of things such as terrain? do you vote? do you rotate what you buy each time, so say terrain then next time something for the card gamers or board gamers?

Back on the original subject, Other replies I have had to this question have indicated a lot of people came into the hobby via hero quest or space crusade (warhammer fantasy rpg also being a popular answer), is this the case with anyone here?
Message edited by p1fx - Tuesday, 22-Apr-2014, 22:45:18

CheDate: Wednesday, 23-Apr-2014, 13:11:48 | Message # 17
Lieutenant general
Quote p1fx ()
have there been any big shifts in attendance

There sure have. Can't remember exactly but numbers were very low at one point late eighties early nineties I think. Before then we had a lot of boardgamers and RPG players with only the odd figure game now and then. Since the mid nineties the club has gone from strength to strength with figure games taking over for a while but now there are a lot more RPG and card games.
Quote p1fx ()
any major club highlights? eg, convention demo's, tournaments etc

We've done a couple of sponsored games for Erskine Hospital. The early eighties I think. We also held a convention around then as well which went quite well. I even remember another club visiting, Dundee springs to mind 'cos we went to one of there's and invited them down. We even put in an appearance at Glasgow one year. This was all during the boardgaming era many battles ago.
Quote p1fx ()
Also how do the club deal with the purchasing of things

Someone suggests an item to purchase and we vote on it. Usually it's a group of long serving members; Ross, zellak, Gerry etc. but anyone can have their say. We are very democratic tongue
Message edited by Che - Wednesday, 23-Apr-2014, 13:14:22

p1fxDate: Wednesday, 23-Apr-2014, 13:17:58 | Message # 18
Colonel
Thanks for the reply. Very interesting to hear about the convention etc, would be interesting to hear more about the 80's period.

CheDate: Wednesday, 23-Apr-2014, 13:26:59 | Message # 19
Lieutenant general
Quote p1fx ()
Back on the original subject, Other replies I have had to this question have indicated a lot of people came into the hobby via hero quest or space crusade (warhammer fantasy rpg also being a popular answer), is this the case with anyone here?

I think a lot of the newer members came to the hobby this way. We get many younger guys coming along 'cos they hear we have a good WH40K contingent or RPG players. Anyhoo they can speak for themselves. I'll shut up now. Brought back a few memories anyway biggrin

Added (23-Apr-2014, 12:20 PM)

Quote p1fx ()
would be interesting to hear more about the 80's period.

Better get to us old guys quick before Alzheimers sets in wacko

Added (23-Apr-2014, 12:26 PM)

Quote zellak ()
The name was changed later ....i missed the meeting. And we were rebranded the NAWC.

Don't think we had a meeting. A member turned up and said he'd corresponded with people and called us NAWGC and we said that's better 'cos Cunninghame didn't exist anymore and had been replaced by North Ayrshire. Summat like that dry The memories are fading wink

p1fxDate: Wednesday, 23-Apr-2014, 17:02:23 | Message # 20
Colonel
Quote Che ()
Better get to us old guys quick before Alzheimers sets in

Lol That's if I don't forget what I was gonna ask first.

Quote Che ()
Don't think we had a meeting. A member turned up and said he'd corresponded with people and called us NAWGC and we said that's better 'cos Cunninghame didn't exist anymore and had been replaced by North Ayrshire. Summat like that The memories are fading

Ah! that's how it happened.

Added (23-Apr-2014, 12:36 PM)
So before the club switched more to figure games, what was the popular/ commonly played games at the club?

Added (23-Apr-2014, 4:02 PM)
Che, So did you discover the hobby in a similar way to Z then? or had you had an interest in it long before the poster appeared in the library all those years ago?

Quote Banksi ()
For my part, It's all Roddy's fault!!!, He got me interested in wargames,

Can you expand on that a little if possible? So a friend introduced you to the hobby?

Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » How did you get into wargaming etc? (Doing a little research and would value your input.)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024