Home
Registration
Login
Welcome Guest

RSS

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » DnD (Dungeons and dragons)
DnD
BalrogDate: Monday, 07-Dec-2009, 22:23:02 | Message # 61
Aun Va III
Group: Member
Hi Z ... Had a good think on ur idea for a new game round system ...

Quote (Balrog)
But then the winning side for initiative then moved and fought/bespelled........but in strict sequence dependant on dexterity.

... and it seems OK. It doesn't favor players with a low dex score (like me!) but that's sometimes the rub in all rules ... can't please all the players all the time!

I've always had a bit of a problem with game rounds in general, regardless of the RPG. Realistically, one die roll for the whole party doesn't really run true to real life. For me, and based on some old AD&D (not sure if it's 1st? or 2nd?) rules, I would like to see each player have a die roll and modified by their dex bonus score. Each player keeps a die in front of him to show his position in the run of things. If u wanted to take things further, a die roll for movement then combat. As we're all desperate to get final kills, this could add a bit of spice not knowing if ur going to run into a battle only to lose the first strike!

Obviously, the GM has to keep track of everyone, and this could be awkward, but the dice in front of the player, or beside the figure, would help. The die roll and dex bonus would see the better dex scores win most of the time, with 6 being the highest score THEN consider dex of the character, or maybe have a simultaneous move/attack scenario on same dice roles? It adds a bit more individual player interaction. Having one player roll for the whole party has always been a bit of a bug-bear for me ... especially when they lose the whole round to slow moving skeletons!

As always, only a suggestion ... maybe a bit more advanced (complicated?) than the normal game round role, but it allows each player to take control of their own round. As to how the baddies want to play, well the DM can do what he wants ... have the same die roll for each character/beasty or move as a group or have a complete mix ... i.e. if all players & baddies role, u could have a real mixture of good/bad movement & attack! A major headache for any DM, but that's where paper & pen come in handy and the results are always mixed and more realistic!!!

Walts ("The Crazy One")

gerrywithaGDate: Monday, 07-Dec-2009, 22:40:46 | Message # 62
Major general
Group: Confirmed
Quote (Big-G)
Most in the west consider communism evil,

Would that be West Virginia, West Bromwich, or West Kilbride???? biggrin tongue biggrin

Personally I think you're talking about West Kilbride. wacko wacko wacko

gwaG

And I am watching YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Big-GDate: Tuesday, 08-Dec-2009, 08:15:35 | Message # 63
Admin
Group: Administrators
Weston supermare

British people think its good in theory, Everyone else hates it

My RPG blog
http://www.new2rpg.wordpress.com

zellakDate: Tuesday, 08-Dec-2009, 17:35:58 | Message # 64
Generalissimo
Quote (Balrog)
and it seems OK. It doesn't favor players with a low dex score (like me!) but that's sometimes the rub in all rules ... can't please all the players all the time!

Well thats a tough one to call...if the guys with the high Dex do enough damage on the monsters then the low dex guys on their turn can move and finish off the monster. And score all the experience !!!!

And if he misses then the next lowest dex guy can move and take a shot at it too.

And remember you can always move 1 square in melee...so it might be possible to move and attack someone elses half dead monster.

Consider also opening chests during combat. i would consider a PC who moved and opened a chest would not have time to take anything...perhaps only one item ??. A round is 10 seconds.

I read something like your idea on dragonsfoot.

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums....b1eab25

Some use a D12 plus dex bonus per character , and go in order.

Another idea (from Ian) was that the high dex guys can delay their action until after the other guys go ?

But i would prefer a simple system...to be honest as simple as possible...im a bear of little brain. huh

And DMing 6+ players will give anyone a headache. wacko

Added (08-Dec-2009, 5:35 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
Oh and remember..this is somethig Nemesis pointed out to me...when you level up you can add 1 to a stat.

If you add 1 to DEX at every level...you may find yourself at the top of the heap.

if you live long enough. tongue

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

BalrogDate: Tuesday, 08-Dec-2009, 18:25:08 | Message # 65
Aun Va III
Hi Z ... I can agree with all concepts of rolling for missile attacks, movement, close combat, spells & pincing goodies from chests and dead bodies ... use a bigger die, choose wether to go first or last, etc ... it's def a headache for DM's!

It's the ability to re-create real-life ... it's impossible that all the party or baddies would move & attack in one set and vice versa ... in the real world there would be a mish-mash of combat, spells, movement, missiles and pinching. SO, how to create this and keep track of it ... well, a die (d12 + Dex Adj?) roll for every figure on the table seems right to myself, but there's def no easy system. A DM's headache for sure!

As for adding 1 to Dex all the time ... it's not something I would focus on ... higher Cons or Str can be just as essential and important during battle! ... Walts

Big-GDate: Tuesday, 08-Dec-2009, 21:32:48 | Message # 66
Admin
If you go crazy for filling you dex then surely there should be a reward? like if you go mad for you intel then you get a higher spell useage. However somtimes these games have 8 or 9 players! it needs to be simple, fast and fair. I agree with ian. A high Dex gives you the option. we sit in dex order

My RPG blog

zellakDate: Tuesday, 08-Dec-2009, 21:49:41 | Message # 67
Generalissimo
Quote (Balrog)
As for adding 1 to Dex all the time ... it's not something I would focus on ... higher Cons or Str can be just as essential and important during battle! ... Walts

i would not advocate it either...but as i said , Mark spotted it after his first game.

Its all a matter of character building to your taste.

Back on "sequence of play".

Rolling 16 D12 for the battle against the skeletons in the Tomb of Kama would not have made the game more fun,
it would just have made it a slog.

Okay ...it was a slog...but would not have improved the action...just bogged it down.
So one roll for each side is still the easiest option in a large fight.

Maybe roll for initiative for sides ...and then a D12 + DEX bonus for the Drow to take their actions ???

Hmmmmmn dry

PS...........to Balrog : no need to PM me a copy of your posts to thread...it just means i have to read it twice. sad

Added (08-Dec-2009, 9:49 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
I'm always open to any crazy idea anybody has on the subject.

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

Big-GDate: Tuesday, 08-Dec-2009, 21:53:44 | Message # 68
Admin
Quote (zellak)
I'm always open to any crazy idea anybody has on the subject.

How about we play russian roulette? the one who dies goes last

My RPG blog

NemesisDate: Wednesday, 09-Dec-2009, 05:05:00 | Message # 69
Lieutenant
what we using ---- VIPERS ???

Big-GDate: Wednesday, 09-Dec-2009, 07:48:15 | Message # 70
Admin
Vipers sound good to me smile

My RPG blog

NemesisDate: Wednesday, 09-Dec-2009, 14:51:41 | Message # 71
Lieutenant
You go first and we'll die laughing!!!! biggrin

Big-GDate: Wednesday, 09-Dec-2009, 15:22:37 | Message # 72
Admin
lol

We roll on a d6 for inititive for roulette which we do to sort out inititive....

too complicated? lol

My RPG blog

BalrogDate: Wednesday, 09-Dec-2009, 17:14:23 | Message # 73
Aun Va III
Hey Z ... Yeah, I guess things would get bogged down with such high numbers ...
Quote (zellak)
Rolling 16 D12 for the battle against the skeletons in the Tomb of Kama would not have made
the game more fun, it would just have made it a slog.

Quote (zellak)
Okay ...it was a slog...but would not have improved the action...just bogged it down.
So one roll for each side is still the easiest option in a large fight.

... fighting it out on the table. But a role for ini each round? And with the d12 + Dex bonus ....

Quote (zellak)
Maybe roll for initiative for sides ...and then a D12 + DEX bonus for the Drow to take their actions ???

... BUT the player can choose to move/fight first/last.

As I said (being the "end of the table" dexterity whipping boy!) to give the game a bit of luck and spice. Yeah, that sounds better ... Walts

zellakDate: Wednesday, 09-Dec-2009, 20:54:54 | Message # 74
Generalissimo
Quote (Balrog)
As I said (being the "end of the table" dexterity whipping boy!) to give the game a bit of luck and spice. Yeah, that sounds better ... Walts

LOL...by "luck and spice" you really mean, roll a 12, go first and steal the treasure . tongue

You really are getting the hang of this Drow thing now Walter . biggrin

Here is another thought/topic...some of the crew are followers of Vaehraun.

The male Drow god that wants to put the men back on top ( ooo er missuss !!!)

How would you go about organising a revolution in Shanizar the Wicked ?

NemesisDate: Thursday, 10-Dec-2009, 05:00:55 | Message # 75
Lieutenant
BLOODY QUIETLY!!!!!!!!

zellakDate: Thursday, 10-Dec-2009, 21:32:40 | Message # 76
Generalissimo
Quote (Nemesis)
BLOODY QUIETLY!!!!!!!!

Good advice. cool

Though normally revolutions need popular support and a trigger event.

Dregz (Stuarts character) is a cleric of Vaehraun, so is obviously the cell leader/contact point with the rebellion.

Any ideas for a trigger event ?

How would Berun start a revolution ...would he want to ?

Big-GDate: Thursday, 10-Dec-2009, 23:27:56 | Message # 77
Admin
The assination of most of the Noble class! Viva la france style

My RPG blog

zellakDate: Friday, 11-Dec-2009, 16:23:04 | Message # 78
Generalissimo
You mean a sustained campaign, murdering the High level clerics of Lolth ?

That could be an interesting side show to the Rievers activities.

(Most of the Gillotine stuff in France was after the revolution was successful wasn't it ?)

NemesisDate: Sunday, 13-Dec-2009, 09:05:56 | Message # 79
Lieutenant
If a 'FEW' clerics die on missions who cares ??? If you start murdering them wholesale, then what ???!!!

zellakDate: Sunday, 13-Dec-2009, 19:18:20 | Message # 80
Generalissimo
Interesting question ...the Lolthites might think it was an internal feud ?

If you were lucky !!!

Or might go all out on a "witch hunt" for all enemies of their cult.

Which would get a bit scary . surprised

Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » DnD (Dungeons and dragons)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024