Home
Registration
Login
Welcome Guest

RSS

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » What wargames would you reccomend and why?
What wargames would you reccomend and why?
p1fxDate: Sunday, 03-Jun-2012, 20:57:48 | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Confirmed
I know very little really about wargames, having only played GW ones, Battletech and another by a old company that I can not remember the name of but was similar to Warhammer Fantasy. i do have the rulebook for Rules of Engagement as well but have not played any of it (Do you guys play it at all?)

So just out of curiosity, what wargames (In print preferred) would you say were worth checking out?

zellakDate: Sunday, 03-Jun-2012, 23:36:37 | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Member
RoE is a system that quite a few of the guys play.

Usually in WW2 28mm.....in fact i think they were also trying out an update for Vietnam scenarios recently!

Whats worth checking out ?..................................

Hmmmmmn. ???

Never looked at it from that POV.

Normally i get interested in a particular era of warfare.....and then want to learn the tactics of that period.

But it really depends on there being other people at the club who are also interested in that period of warfare.

Which comes full circle to what you said on another thread about always having someone to play against if you play GW core games.

So i would say

1) Join a club

2) Find out what periods they play which interest you.

3) Buy and paint 200+ miniatures. surprised

Its a different ballgame from RPGs. wink

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Monday, 04-Jun-2012, 02:00:35 | Message # 3
Colonel
Aye I figured that (regarding the rpg comment), was just really after what games folk really liked. But if I was to narrow it down to periods, then I would personally be looking probably for a good fantasy genre game (Warhammer is currently pulling my attention), a WW2 game (although if folk actually play RoE then I would happily stick to it as the rules are ok) or WW1 if a good game exists for it,.

Did not want really to pick a period though really without trying to gage how many folk are actually playing it, just to make sure there was folk to play against. So in a way part of my question is what is actually getting played by folk. And played by folk outwith the club.

In regards to RoE, so the guys use 28mm, cool. I had been thinking of using 1/72 scale stuff for it just out of cheapness but the plastic soldier company do some nice 28mm ones too. What forces do people have/use? Do they play the Eastern front add on?

Added (04-Jun-2012, 2:00 AM)
---------------------------------------------
Although when you look at it, it is very similar with RPG's. You can only play what other folk are interested in playing.

zellakDate: Monday, 04-Jun-2012, 10:32:38 | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Quote (p1fx)
Did not want really to pick a period though really without trying to gage how many folk are actually playing it, just to make sure there was folk to play against. So in a way part of my question is what is actually getting played by folk. And played by folk outwith the club.

As you had a hand in starting up the Largs RPG club and stay in West Kilbride.....and have commented before on there being a strong Warhammer FB/ WH40K group of players there....it would seem they would be the best people for you to ask...no ? smile

Quote (p1fx)
In regards to RoE, so the guys use 28mm, cool. I had been thinking of using 1/72 scale stuff for it just out of cheapness but the plastic soldier company do some nice 28mm ones too. What forces do people have/use? Do they play the Eastern front add on?

They normally use 28mm but i'm am sure there are also people with 20mm (1/72 nd) to.

They tend to play Germans vs US, but also have Italians ...and i'm sure i have also seen USMC vs Japs. Check the picture galleries. happy

Quote (p1fx)
Although when you look at it, it is very similar with RPG's. You can only play what other folk are interested in playing.

True, but my point being its possible to play RPGs with no miniatures or equipment of any kind....just turn up, and the GM has all the stuff.

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

gerrywithaGDate: Monday, 04-Jun-2012, 11:23:22 | Message # 5
Major general
As Zellak has said we have a variety of forces for ROE in 28mm.

I have British paratroopers, American Infantry and American Paratroopers (which also double as USMC or US Rangers), about a company's worth of Germans, Rumanians, and a small amount of Russians.

Other club members have Japanese, Italians, Italian paratroopers, more Americans, and Pavlov has British Infantry I think. (are they painted yet ??? biggrin )

We haven't played ROE in 20mm/ 1:72 scale although we can do that if wanted. I tend to play "I ain't been shot mum" by TooFatLardies in 20mm as I also have an extensive collection in that scale

We have also been play testing a homegrown Vietnam version which has worked okay but was a mixture of 2 or 3 rules systems and ,as such, has had a few issues that we've not been to happy with. As a result we are now looking at Charlie Don't Surf by TooFatLardies although these are more company sized games, as opposed to the platoon sized games that are ROE.

That said we have played multi-platoon games with ROE

If I was choosing between 28mm and 20mm now, I had probably go for the latter because, as you say , there are a large number of good manufacturers out there in both metal and hard plastic, and with the plastic you certainly get a good number of figures per pound spent which allows a force to be built up relatively cheaply

Hope that helps

Cheers

Gerry( in non moderating mode)

And I am watching YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

gerrywithaGDate: Monday, 04-Jun-2012, 11:25:47 | Message # 6
Major general
Oh, should add we do play the Eastern Front add on rules for ROE . Alan C has a very good sized force for that

Cheers

Gerry(NMM)

p1fxDate: Monday, 04-Jun-2012, 14:35:46 | Message # 7
Colonel
Quote (zellak)
As you had a hand in starting up the Largs RPG club and stay in West Kilbride.....and have commented before on there being a strong Warhammer FB/ WH40K group of players there....it would seem they would be the best people for you to ask...no ? smile

Well no actually if you think about it since I am asking about non GW games, plus the fact that I am asking you guys (which since your the local wargames club, I would have thought put you guys in the best position to answer).

Cheers Gerry, that was a very helpful and informative reply. I did actually look at I aint been shot mum before going for RoE. At the time I thought there may have been issues finding players for I aint been shot.

Glad to hear I would not be alone if I went for 20mm WW2, it just seemed more economic to me as you can use Airfix tanks etc, plus when I was a kid I used to see older folk play wargames using 1/72, no idea what system they used back then though, it just looked cool to me as a kid.

Vietnam RoE sounds great fun, Full Metal Jacket the game lol.

gerrywithaGDate: Monday, 04-Jun-2012, 16:31:14 | Message # 8
Major general
Yeah, there are a very good range of vehicles about in 20mm.

Certainly I would recommend that you shop about for them. Mine are a mixture of resin, plastics and die casts .

Bear in mind though that in ROE you'll be lucky to field a vehicle or two unless you're fielding an armoured platoon whereas in IABSM it tends to be tank troops that we use, and also that ROE is primarily an infantry game , in IABSM you can have an all tank clash if you so desired.

One thing I will say about IABSM is that it is certainly not a rules set for tournament players or a player who wants to have a balanced points game , as there is no points system in it. What it does do is give you the makeup of what a company would be and the possible support options it may have which allows you to make up your own scenarios or dovetail it in with an actual historical battle.

You'll also find that when we play at the ROE or IABSM at he club we use an umpire which helps push the game along too

Cheers

Gerry(NMM)

p1fxDate: Monday, 04-Jun-2012, 16:37:21 | Message # 9
Colonel
IABSM sounds quite good, similar to RoE in that you don't have points as such. What sort of worried me with them was the need to be more historically correct than with Flames of War say.

It would be nice to have a big WW2 wargame, like FoW as well due to RoE being more a squad based skirmish

gerrywithaGDate: Monday, 04-Jun-2012, 17:22:01 | Message # 10
Major general
In IABSM you don't have to be historically correct, there are supplements that give you mini campaigns and scenarios to play or you can just make up your own scenario based on what you've got available.

It's entirely up to you. You just need to make the victory conditions realistic for both sides given what kit you give each side

As an example I have a game at home just now which has roughly 2 companies of British, with tank support advancing towards Caen through a village. Both sides have victory conditions but they are not entirely opposite to one another.

You have to balance the victory conditions to what would seem achievable for say a platoon sized defending force against a company sized attacking force. The attacking force may be set to completely clear the defenders from the table whereas the defending force victory conditions may be to hold for a number of turns and then extract itself off the table.

Cheers

Gerry(NMM)

p1fxDate: Monday, 04-Jun-2012, 17:37:12 | Message # 11
Colonel
Cheers for explaining that, very helpful.

zellakDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 15:15:15 | Message # 12
Generalissimo
Flames of War 3rd edition. ; 15mm WW2 very popular....but not at our club.

Field of Glory ; Ancients/ dark age / medieval....very popular (and played by us)

Warhammer Ancient Battles ; just went out of production...but was quite popular around other clubs.

Fire and Fury ; 15mm American Civil War .....most popular set of ACW rules AFAIK. (we played it to death for almost 2 years straight !)

Napoleonics ; there are many rulesets none are dominant (Black Powder got a lot of good reviews)....though Slitherine (who do FoG) have just released a new napoleonic set.

p1fxDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 17:29:05 | Message # 13
Colonel
Cheers

I looked at WH Ancients a while back before I fully decided to get back into the hobby, and now I did it is out of print. Typical eh.

Can you tell me a little more about FoG, I have seen it mentioned on a few clubs sites and would be interested to hear more. Can you get many mini's etc for it? Medieval or Dark Age really interests me.

Flames of War is one I keep looking at, but the problem being finding other players in the local area. That and it can be a bit pricey although there are some cheaper mini companies doing stuff for it. Plus I expect 15mm is a bitch to paint.

ACW era games could be fun, to try although I know nothing about the period tbh.

EtriganDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 17:38:08 | Message # 14
Sergeant
Even though I have not played it for fantasy I know Kings of War by Mantic is really good and 2bh alot cheaper than most..... make that all of the GW miniatures

“ Yarva Demonicus Etrigan.
Change, change the form of man.
Free the prince forever damned.
Free the might from fleshy mire.
Boil the blood in heart of fire.
Gone, gone the form of man,
Rise the demon Etrigan!

p1fxDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 17:55:04 | Message # 15
Colonel
They seem to have gone up a bit recently though, they are not that much cheaper in some cases from what I saw on the site. I did consider KoW but no idea how many folk play it etc, plus they do not seem to have a human faction in that so far which is one of the forces that would interest me. Undead look ok, but not too fussed about the others I have seen so far.

Added (05-Jun-2012, 5:55 PM)
---------------------------------------------
But aye, they are generally better priced than GW. Just wonder if it is as easier to get a game of as the WH Fantasy.

zellakDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 18:07:29 | Message # 16
Generalissimo
Quote (p1fx)
Can you tell me a little more about FoG, I have seen it mentioned on a few clubs sites and would be interested to hear more. Can you get many mini's etc for it? Medieval or Dark Age really interests me.

FoG is for fighting large ancients battles.

The basic unit is the battlegroup....which is a number of unit working together. Normally 4 to 8 elements each with 3 or 4 minis.
(this is more important when refighting historical battles, and does not really matter when playing bounce games.)

Battlegroups are formed into 4 commands and deployed as such.... left/ centre /right and reserve.

Units can double move until they get close to the enemy, effective firing ranges are very short.

One side moves, both sides shoot, both sides fight, both sides generals get to move and rally.

Then the other side moves, both sides shoot, both sides fight, both sides generals get to move and rally.

The combat system is very simple....and its a real slog. Just like history. tongue

you either are at evens both need 4+, advantage/disdvantage one player needs 4+ the other 5+,
or major advantage / disadvantage one needs 3+ the other 5+.

Number of dice depend on how many elements you have.

Both sides roll, whoever gets the most successes wins.
The loser takes a morale check.
Both sides then roll higher than the number of successes the opponent scored (on 1d6) or lose an element.

Easy..... smile

Good deployment and bringing effective match ups is the key to winning ancients.

15mm and 25/28mm are both popular. Ancients cover from Sumeria 3500BC to about 1500 AD (early rennaisance) .

So about 5000 years of warfare! You can prolly find any army you look for....there are a LOT of manufacturers !
Message edited by zellak - Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 18:40:37

p1fxDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 18:12:55 | Message # 17
Colonel
Cheers Z, very helpful overview there

zellakDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 18:17:47 | Message # 18
Generalissimo
Quote (p1fx)
Even though I have not played it for fantasy I know Kings of War by Mantic is really good and 2bh alot cheaper than most..... make that all of the GW miniatures

Kings of War are a really easy set of rules to play. You can use any miniatures you want.

Ancients/ Dark Age/ medieval for humans, warhammer/ D&D miniatures/ Heroscape/ Mage Knight / Mantic / BattleMasters/ Confrontation......anything.

Mantic will be releasing a Kingdom of Men army soon, the new rulebook comes out 25th June (got mine pre-ordered biggrin )

It will be available for free download ! I have second / beta edition ...its only 23 pages.

They also have a Angels/Paladins army in the works for sometime next year.
Message edited by zellak - Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 18:55:58

BanksiDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 18:35:07 | Message # 19
Major general
Group: Administrators
Quote (p1fx)
Just wonder if it is as easier to get a game of as the WH Fantasy.

Another point is with KoW is that you can use any figures that you already have, Just make up the units from the army lists and start playing

Of course I know your name, it's your face I can't remember - Parahandy

zellakDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 18:39:25 | Message # 20
Generalissimo
Oh aye ...all the army lists are there for free download too. happy

Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » What wargames would you reccomend and why?
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024