Home
Registration
Login
Welcome Guest

RSS

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » What wargames would you reccomend and why?
What wargames would you reccomend and why?
p1fxDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 19:05:26 | Message # 21
Colonel
Group: Confirmed
Hope they release things quickly then, do not want to have to wait a year really.

By the way Z, that quote in your first post was not made by myself
Quote (zellak)
Quote (p1fx)
Even though I have not played it for fantasy I know Kings of War by Mantic is really good and 2bh alot cheaper than most..... make that all of the GW miniatures

zellakDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 19:16:20 | Message # 22
Generalissimo
Group: Member
Hey...how did that happen ???

Just used the quote function as normal ????

Apologies for the mistake....dont know how it happened.

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 19:18:57 | Message # 23
Colonel
Who knows, the joy of technology.

zellakDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 19:32:03 | Message # 24
Generalissimo
Quote (p1fx)
Hope they release things quickly then, do not want to have to wait a year really.

Thats the point....you dont have to wait for their miniatures.

You can use any miniatures you like. Just like historical wargamers can mix miniatures ranges from several manufacturers.

And play different rule sets with the same army ! surprised
Message edited by zellak - Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 19:35:12

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 20:08:33 | Message # 25
Colonel
Is there already an army list for all the races or do they get released alongside the mini's?

zellakDate: Tuesday, 05-Jun-2012, 21:27:39 | Message # 26
Generalissimo
These are the current army lists....but about to change with the release of the new rulebook.

http://www.manticgames.com/Hobby/Gaming.html

The rules are there to.

p1fxDate: Wednesday, 15-May-2013, 16:04:32 | Message # 27
Colonel
Cool, looks like the human faction is a sort of blend of the GW Bretonians and the Empire. Looking forward to seeing the mini's

Added (15-May-2013, 3:04 PM)
---------------------------------------------
What is the general opinion on the Bolt Action rules set? It a good set for ww2? I was going for a 20mm game but 28mm would be ok, and it seems rather popular, perhaps not as much as flames of war.

(side question, I notice a fair few folk have 6mm ww2 or modern armies, what rules do you use for those?)

Also has anyone any views on either SAGA or Clash of Empires for Dark ages? I am thinking of a 20mm Northumbrian army and am not sure what rules to get.

BanksiDate: Wednesday, 15-May-2013, 17:03:57 | Message # 28
Major general
Group: Administrators
Quote (p1fx)
What is the general opinion on the Bolt Action rules set?

The Bolt action rules play very well the dice turn system adds to the overall feel of the game.

We have several players with 28mm armies - German, British, Russian, America etc. but lots more to choose from.

As to Saga - Again another good game, excellent easy to play with the battle boards making each army different - 28mm is the scale we use and we have players with armies and it has become a regular game on Sundays, 2 games can be easily completed. A few of the guys have just bought armies and are building them as we speak.

I think the major point with both Bolt Action and Saga is that you don't need huge armies to have a good game. Saga's max figure count would be around 54 figures with 38 being more normal

I haven't played Clash of Empires

Of course I know your name, it's your face I can't remember - Parahandy

BanksiDate: Wednesday, 15-May-2013, 17:10:21 | Message # 29
Major general
Quote (p1fx)

(side question, I notice a fair few folk have 6mm ww2 or modern armies, what rules do you use for those?)

I think 6mm is one of those scales waiting for a new set of rules to bring it into the 21st century. We all have armies waiting for a good set of playable rules.

WRG Modern used to be the base set but the latest version was just not up to scratch, too complex, too long and sadly poor

p1fxDate: Wednesday, 15-May-2013, 17:28:31 | Message # 30
Colonel
Cheers.

Ah so SAGA is a popular choice then. May have to have a look at that, I had only really considered CoE due to it being from the same folks as Rules of Engagement which I have and it seems to have been written to be used with various scales. SAGA sounds quite good though.

Added (15-May-2013, 4:28 PM)
I was only looking at 20mm 1/72 scale due to costs, but 28mm are much nicer tbh.

pavlovDate: Wednesday, 15-May-2013, 21:21:23 | Message # 31
Major general
Hi

I saw a swallow today.

Alan

There is f&*k all cool about 10+ civil engineers running around every battlefield

BanksiDate: Wednesday, 15-May-2013, 23:03:06 | Message # 32
Major general
Quote (pavlov)
I saw a swallow today.

Are you sure it was a swallow, might have been a swift or a house martin?

or a great spotted pillock!
biggrin

zellakDate: Wednesday, 15-May-2013, 23:28:12 | Message # 33
Generalissimo
Threadnomancy and ornithology....what a peculiar mix. wink

To Pavlov ; think you could take a break from your new hobbies to post a deadline for the AT-43 army lists ? tongue

Got 2 of mine done. cool

ZealyotDate: Wednesday, 15-May-2013, 23:35:23 | Message # 34
Lieutenant colonel
Quote (p1fx)
I was going for a 20mm game but 28mm would be ok

You could still use Bolt action for 20mm figures if you wanted. It's a flexible enough rules system with things like true line of sight and stuff like that meaning that as long as you're all using the same scale of figures it all pans out fine biggrin

"In brightest day,
in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power,
Green Lantern's light!"

p1fxDate: Thursday, 16-May-2013, 08:51:12 | Message # 35
Colonel
Quote (Zealyot)
You could still use Bolt action for 20mm figures if you wanted. It's a flexible enough rules system with things like true line of sight and stuff like that meaning that as long as you're all using the same scale of figures it all pans out fine

I am guessing though that there would not be that many BA players using 20mm though. I have seen a fair few places using 20mm for RoE though, but I am not sure how popular that system is nowadays.

Quote (pavlov)
I saw a swallow today.

Good for you, I only seen a fat old pigeon. biggrin
Message edited by p1fx - Thursday, 16-May-2013, 08:56:33

CheDate: Thursday, 16-May-2013, 10:17:26 | Message # 36
Lieutenant general
Quote (pavlov)
I saw a swallow today.

Only one? We need more than that if summer is to happen surprised

Added (16-May-2013, 9:15 AM)

Quote (Banksi)
or a house martin?

Is that a member of the band? Sorry, feeling more flippant than usual today wink I'll get back in my box. G'night John Boy

Added (16-May-2013, 9:17 AM)

Quote (zellak)
Got 2 of mine done.

(Back out of box) Show off biggrin (Back in box)

Wargamers like to paint their privates!!

Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » What wargames would you reccomend and why?
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024