Home
Registration
Login
Welcome Guest

RSS

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » Recruiting new members? (New members)
Recruiting new members?
kaimarionDate: Monday, 19-Dec-2011, 19:48:46 | Message # 1
Sergeant
Group: Member
What idea's do people have for us to get new players into the club?
One thing I noticed is that we don't currently have a Facebook account which could be useful for recruiting new players and I could easily set up a page and add moderators so that other members could add content to the page.

Started thinking about this today when I was telling two gamers about the club.

ShaheenDate: Monday, 19-Dec-2011, 20:15:44 | Message # 2
Sergeant
Group: Confirmed
I know I'm not a club member but for Lanarkshire Gamers I set out physical leaflets out in Glasgow gaming shops (Static, Dragon and George) and rather than setting up a Facebook account as this can detract from forum activity I just set up Facebook monthly events for when the club is in session each time with a link to the forum we use. I also try to chat to other nearby clubs as much as possible and try not to clash with things they have on and share members as much as possible.

zellakDate: Monday, 19-Dec-2011, 20:58:50 | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Quote (kaimarion)
What idea's do people have for us to get new players into the club?
One thing I noticed is that we don't currently have a Facebook account which could be useful for recruiting new players and I could easily set up a page and add moderators so that other members could add content to the page.

Good idea +1 biggrin

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

JamieCraftworldMaidenDate: Tuesday, 20-Dec-2011, 00:00:57 | Message # 4
Lieutenant
I have been thinking about that aswell lately, the only problem is retainment. We get a lot of people come in for a few sessions then they either loose intrest or never come back. We need to focus on retainment. A little bit more advertising wouldnt do any harm. Anyone else got any ideas? As new members means more income, which means the club becomes more financially secure and we can get new terrain/boards/books or whatever people see fit biggrin

kaimarionDate: Tuesday, 20-Dec-2011, 01:43:18 | Message # 5
Sergeant
Good point Jamie, perhaps we should focus more on helping younger games but how do we get them more involved in the hobby?

http://www.facebook.com/pages....sk=wall
Message edited by kaimarion - Friday, 23-Dec-2011, 00:22:21

ShaheenDate: Thursday, 22-Dec-2011, 17:40:32 | Message # 6
Sergeant
Offer to demo games? Painting days? Tournaments? All might be good awareness raisers.

zellakDate: Thursday, 22-Dec-2011, 20:52:33 | Message # 7
Generalissimo
As Shaheen says....what about a 40K tournament ?

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

kaimarionDate: Thursday, 22-Dec-2011, 23:53:41 | Message # 8
Sergeant
The main problem we have is that there are very few 40K members at the club so in-house tournaments won't really work that well.
We could advertise a tournament for about March time and source players from out-side of the club and with the FB it would be easy to keep everyone updated.

Doubles tournament with 2000pts a side(1000pts per player) and a time limit of about 1hr per game?
That way we could increase the amount of gamers at the event and we wouldn't be using up all of the clubs resources.

Rough time table:
11:00- set-up
12:00- first game
13:10- second game
14:30- third game
15:30- Pack up
16:00- declare winners

What do you think a £5 entry fee for the tournament with the prize being something along the lines of a battle force?
Message edited by kaimarion - Friday, 23-Dec-2011, 00:21:21

ZealyotDate: Friday, 23-Dec-2011, 00:56:03 | Message # 9
Lieutenant colonel
If you're only thinking of giving about an hour a game I'd maybe say 1000pts a side rather than 2000 just from the timing point of view

"In brightest day,
in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power,
Green Lantern's light!"

JamieCraftworldMaidenDate: Friday, 23-Dec-2011, 19:39:34 | Message # 10
Lieutenant
Quote (Shaheen)
Offer to demo games? Painting days? Tournaments? All might be good awareness raisers.

All very good ideas! Tournaments draw a lot of attention ;D

Quote (Zealyot)
If you're only thinking of giving about an hour a game I'd maybe say 1000pts a side rather than 2000 just from the timing point of view

Id agree do Doubles tourney offical rules?

kaimarionDate: Saturday, 24-Dec-2011, 01:55:53 | Message # 11
Sergeant
Quote (JamieCraftworldMaiden)
Id agree do Doubles tourney offical rules?

Two things I would change is removal of the alliance table and allowing FW armies(excluding fliers/super heavies).
What is the game size/time limit they have for conflict? Yeah think 2000pts does seem slightly infeasible but do you think 1000pts would be over too fast for some players?

What do people think of the prize idea? What do you think a good idea for the prize(if any) should be?
What do people think of the proposed time table? Could we get things set-up faster and would a 10 minute break between games adequate/too much?

If we do play smaller games that means we could easily use 4x4 boards, which would again raise our player cap.
Message edited by kaimarion - Saturday, 24-Dec-2011, 02:00:37

zellakDate: Saturday, 24-Dec-2011, 12:54:57 | Message # 12
Generalissimo
It could start earlier than 11.00...as a one off. (maybe 9.30 ???)

And all other games put on hold for that week, to maximise number tables and terrain choices.

Are 750 points / player to small ? (we used to play 1500 pt armies for solo games.)

JamieCraftworldMaidenDate: Saturday, 24-Dec-2011, 16:18:33 | Message # 13
Lieutenant
Some feedback

750 points would be good, FOC would need altered though to compinsate for the smaller games. Im pretty sure at Doubles for 2010 was 500 Points each. FW Models would also be a nice twist aswell. Also in favour of starting early!

pavlovDate: Saturday, 24-Dec-2011, 16:23:02 | Message # 14
Major general
Hi folks

Found this which might or might not be of use.

http://www.crossgamingclub.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1815

Alan

There is f&*k all cool about 10+ civil engineers running around every battlefield

ZealyotDate: Saturday, 24-Dec-2011, 18:19:47 | Message # 15
Lieutenant colonel
Quote (JamieCraftworldMaiden)
FOC would need altered

you could use the same system as conflict i.e. 1 HQ 1 Troop as compulsory for each player unless they are using the same type of army in which case its 1 HQ between them.
for example team A has an imperial guard player and a space marine player so they would both need to take an HQ and a Troop choice
But team B which has 2 Ork players would would need 1 troop choice each but would only need 1 HQ between them.

"In brightest day,
in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power,
Green Lantern's light!"

kaimarionDate: Saturday, 24-Dec-2011, 20:13:54 | Message # 16
Sergeant
Quote (zellak)
It could start earlier than 11.00...as a one off. (maybe 9.30 ???)

If it is possible to start earlier then I am all for it.
I've also got my realm of battle board that I could bring down for the event to help add an extra board.

It may be a good idea if some of our club members brought down some extra terrain on the day if they are able to.
Message edited by kaimarion - Saturday, 24-Dec-2011, 20:16:46

JamieCraftworldMaidenDate: Sunday, 25-Dec-2011, 00:10:26 | Message # 17
Lieutenant
Quote (Zealyot)
Hi folks

Found this which might or might not be of use.

http://www.crossgamingclub.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1815

Alan

Great stuff! And yeah I can bring in 10/11 cities of death buildings and a crashed lander ;D

p1fxDate: Saturday, 31-Dec-2011, 01:24:03 | Message # 18
Colonel
All I am going to say is that when I suggested most of these very things back in 2010 I was shot down in flames by most of you, and told you were happy with the numbers you had and did not need any more members. Which lead to me setting up another club, and also led to around 6 other wargamers choosing to play in Largs rathr than Irvine, which was a shame. Glad to see that Shaz has not had the same reception.

The facebook thing is worth while as is publicity, I could get you plugs on a few things if desired or do flyers.

However if you want to help yourselves a bit then you could get involved in the convention I am planning with Shaz and others, I know you said it was not interesting to you before but I really urge you to think about it again.

By the way the Largs 40k club has around 20 embers and a strong league, perhaps you could think about a league? I would be up for it once I can afford to build a GW army or two, am also starting out in RoE at the moment along with my RPG's.

Added (31-Dec-2011, 0:20 AM)
---------------------------------------------
Do not get me wrong, I am not having a go or anything, just saying how it was, but things can change.

I have not really kept up to speed with your club for the past year or so but as I say I am now looking at getting back into war games aswell, after a long absence, RoE and GW games esp, the only problem being the cost of the GW games! So would be most up for joing you and helping as best I can to make the club better, if your ok with that.

Added (31-Dec-2011, 0:24 AM)
By the way what scale do you suggest for RoE? 20mm/1:72 or 28 mm?

As for tournaments, great idea like I said before. However there is also campaign play as a option too like you have for at 43. there is a league too.
As for a doubles competition, the problem there is would you not need two prizes?

zellakDate: Saturday, 31-Dec-2011, 12:21:10 | Message # 19
Generalissimo
Quote (p1fx)
All I am going to say is that when I suggested most of these very things back in 2010 I was shot down in flames by most of you, and told you were happy with the numbers you had and did not need any more members. Which lead to me setting up another club, and also led to around 6 other wargamers choosing to play in Largs rathr than Irvine, which was a shame. Glad to see that Shaz has not had the same reception.

Why would you post this ?

Are you trying to start a flame war ?

Do you think we will not respond in kind to comments like this ?
Message edited by zellak - Saturday, 31-Dec-2011, 12:24:59

p1fxDate: Saturday, 31-Dec-2011, 12:44:56 | Message # 20
Colonel
Nope I am just stating what occured, which was as much my fault as others. As I said also above I am not having a pop. I am just glad that things seemed to have changed a bit and you seem to be more open to trying things to boost the club and hobby.

Added (31-Dec-2011, 11:44 AM)
Leagues and tournaments seem to be working for smaller towns than Irvine, well 40k ones anyway, and I am sure that with the tables, trees etc at your dispossal you could create some outstanding game tables for such an event. That would pull in a few esp as many of the other places running things locally are not the greatest on scenery etc.

Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » Recruiting new members? (New members)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024