Home
Registration
Login
Welcome Guest

RSS

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » AT-43 Discussions » Damocles » Tau Dominion AT-43 Army (Some advice/pointers/idea's on new armybook?)
Tau Dominion AT-43 Army
BalrogDate: Friday, 13-Apr-2012, 10:53:03 | Message # 1
Aun Va III
Group: Member
Hi Guys ... As you'll know, I've had Ross complete my Tau -->> AT-43 infantry conversions ...

>>> http://www.northayrshirewargamesclub.co.uk/forum/13-218-1

>>> My Tau Army >>> http://www.northayrshirewargamesclub.co.uk/forum/12-193-1

... so I've began looking about for suitable AFV. My battlesuits, broadsides, piranha, etc, are usable as various light AFV's, but I've found the other models too big. So, rather than re-invent the wheel, I fancy just using what's already floating about and the Cogs are the only one's that seem to crop up as being available to buy at cheap prices. That and everything else crops up on evilBay at ridiculous prices!

Choosing the Cogs, I'd thought I'd write them into my AT-43 "Tau Dominion" armybook as "allies" gone bad, so the factions would have their fighting vehicles, but are now mortal enemies to the "masters of evolution", using their own weapons against them. They would have the same points & stats and I can get on with completing my armybook.

At the mo, I'll be using the UNA as a main guide to what my units will be stats-wise, with a few extra's to cover my drones (based on the Therian - Storm Arachns), Kroots, Stingwings, etc, from various other armys. Everything will be open to ideas from other players ... I don't want to drop an army on you that's mad-mental and impossible to beat!

Any thoughts or advice appreciated ... Thanks, Walts

zellakDate: Tuesday, 24-Apr-2012, 09:59:23 | Message # 2
Generalissimo
There are quite a few people watching this thread.

Isn't time you posted something for them to read.

Like some real details of what you are playtesting ?????

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

BalrogDate: Tuesday, 24-Apr-2012, 22:06:47 | Message # 3
Aun Va III
Hi z ... I'm still getting odd suggestions from AT-43 players, so come Friday I'll post what's been suggested and some Tau stats to get things moving along! ... Walts

zellakDate: Saturday, 28-Apr-2012, 18:06:36 | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Its Saturday....where are the stats ? angry

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

gerrywithaGDate: Saturday, 28-Apr-2012, 18:36:24 | Message # 5
Major general
Group: Confirmed
Waiting to see these myself too!!!!

Cheers

Gerry

And I am watching YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

CheDate: Saturday, 28-Apr-2012, 18:38:30 | Message # 6
Lieutenant general
Quote (Balrog)
I don't want to drop an army on you that's mad-mental and impossible to beat!

I bet you do really! spiteful

Wargamers like to paint their privates!!

BalrogDate: Saturday, 28-Apr-2012, 22:07:15 | Message # 7
Aun Va III
Quote (Che)
I bet you do really! spiteful

sssshhhhhhhh Che, don't let the other guys know! wink ... Walts

BalrogDate: Saturday, 28-Apr-2012, 22:17:52 | Message # 8
Aun Va III
Soz Guys ... Once again my plans to get on with the "Tau Dominion" got scuppered by friends and annoying builders who think it's alright to just appear when they want! angry

As your working through the new campaign anyway, there's no real rush. I've got a shed load of extra work coming my way over the fortnight with one of my bosses being on holiday and I have to cover his work, so I really wanted to get something online with the Tau, but it's on the back burner, again!

There's never enough time in the year to get anything done! ... Walts

zellakDate: Sunday, 13-May-2012, 00:25:52 | Message # 9
Generalissimo
two weeks later...still nothing of substance.

its the red blok army lists all over again.

sigh. dry

BalrogDate: Sunday, 13-May-2012, 07:38:46 | Message # 10
Aun Va III
Soz z ... Been working 24/7 the last fortnight, and things ain't going to improve. sad But, I've pencilled in the middle of June to get the Tau Dominion sorted, honest Guv'ner!!!

My biggest problem is allocating points to the units, heroes and special abilities ... there's no commmon ground within AT-43 to justify anything when it comes to the points! wacko Have u any suggestions (or a formula?) for giving points to units, heroes, abilitys, special weapons, support units ... ??? Is there an overall points system that needs to be considered? ... Thanks, Walts

zellakDate: Sunday, 13-May-2012, 19:26:29 | Message # 11
Generalissimo
Use the UNA AP costs...or as near as possible.

Add around 15% for a minor boost and 33% for a major boost.

Then play-test the lists to death !!!!!

BUT !!!

Before you start with an armylist of any kind. I would suggest you describe the army in detail.

Its doctrines, its modes of operation, how it deals with different threats, how it fights in urban warfare.

How it deals with horde armies. How it fights in defence.

Define how it works in theory, its strengths and weaknesses, this will help define the trooptypes and how they fit into the system.

BalrogDate: Sunday, 13-May-2012, 20:52:00 | Message # 12
Aun Va III
Excellent advice! ... Thanks z ... Walts

BanksiDate: Sunday, 13-May-2012, 21:23:28 | Message # 13
Major general
Group: Administrators
Another thing to remember is all the armies have weaknesses, So as well as strengths you need to plan what they wont be good at.

E.G. With Karman it's weakness is lack of numbers, poor medic and vehicle repair

Of course I know your name, it's your face I can't remember - Parahandy

pavlovDate: Sunday, 13-May-2012, 21:29:24 | Message # 14
Major general
Hi

Oh and dont forget type 2's lack of close combat ability and no support on basic army pattern, etc etc and were the super army yea. biggrin

alan

There is f&*k all cool about 10+ civil engineers running around every battlefield

BalrogDate: Sunday, 13-May-2012, 21:47:14 | Message # 15
Aun Va III
Thanks guys, more good advice to put into the pot!

At the mo, my Tau army will suffer from poor close combat and a heavy need for officers to function, or use lots of LP's to do the basics. It's been a while since I've looked at my 40K Tau armybook for some other inspiration, so any pointers appreciated for the bad side of the army as well! ... Walts

BanksiDate: Sunday, 13-May-2012, 22:23:01 | Message # 16
Major general
Quote (Balrog)

At the mo, my Tau army will suffer from poor close combat and a heavy need for officers to function, or use lots of LP's to do the basics. It's been a while since I've looked at my 40K Tau armybook for some other inspiration, so any pointers appreciated for the bad side of the army as well! ... Walts

If you dont give it close combat weapons it doesnt have close combat

BalrogDate: Sunday, 13-May-2012, 23:24:10 | Message # 17
Aun Va III
Quote (Banksi)
If you dont give it close combat weapons it doesnt have close combat

Ouch ... It won't be that extreme! I'd had a mind to give opponents an extra re-roll for hits & damage? ... Walts

BanksiDate: Monday, 14-May-2012, 00:53:01 | Message # 18
Major general
All karman type 2 infantry cannot fight in hand to hand, they have no h2h weapons angry

I suggest you will have to be that extreme because quite a few heavy fire power units can't assault.
Message edited by Banksi - Monday, 14-May-2012, 00:55:15

BalrogDate: Monday, 14-May-2012, 07:14:29 | Message # 19
Aun Va III
Quote (Banksi)
I suggest you will have to be that extreme because quite a few heavy fire power units can't assault.

Didn't know that, Guv'ner! surprised

So, what I'll do is remove H2H attacks for ALL the stand-alone Support Units and ALL inf units of all types will continue to have poor H2H, i.e. opponents get re-rolls on their hit & pen. That weaken's my inf across the board and keeps things simple to remember. Of course, that's just the Tau. The Kroot and Vespid are the grunts of the army and won't suffer from these disadvanatges, so the bulk of my fielded inf will have poor H2H skills.

Is that OK you think? ... Walts

zellakDate: Saturday, 19-May-2012, 15:17:40 | Message # 20
Generalissimo
Three weeks..........still waiting. sleep

Forum » AT-43 Discussions » Damocles » Tau Dominion AT-43 Army (Some advice/pointers/idea's on new armybook?)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024