Archive - read only
Forum » Archives » AT-43 - Club, News & Gossip » FINISHING CURRENT CAMPAIGN
FINISHING CURRENT CAMPAIGN
gerrywithaGDate: Sunday, 05-Feb-2012, 23:07:20 | Message # 1
Major general
Group: Confirmed
TO ALL PLAYERS

I have given this a fair amount of thought and now pose the question:

Given the number of queries, complaints and general issues we appear to be having with different things in the current campaign, I wanted to ask for all participants for their thoughts on whether the campaign should continue in it's current format or whether it should be laid to the side and started again with a fresh , clean slate.

I am happy to umpire a new revamped version of this or continue under the existing system but I am also aware of the increasing dissatisfaction with the current format from a number of players.

I would also be happy to implement a number of ground rules prior to starting a new campaign.

I would ask that anybody with a point of view please direct their comments to me via this thread and that we don't get involved with personal comments

Best Regards

Gerry/Da'Umpire

And I am watching YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

BanksiDate: Sunday, 05-Feb-2012, 23:10:35 | Message # 2
Major general
Group: Administrators
You know my vote, don't think I could make it much clearer.

REBOOT

Of course I know your name, it's your face I can't remember - Parahandy

CheDate: Sunday, 05-Feb-2012, 23:15:09 | Message # 3
Lieutenant general
Group: Member
The current campaign seems to be falling apart. Let's give it a decent burial! surprised

Wargamers like to paint their privates!!

BalrogDate: Monday, 06-Feb-2012, 00:47:46 | Message # 4
Aun Va III
Hi Guys ... Being a newbie to the FB campaign, I've found that a lot of minor tweaks are causing the campaign, and players, to come apart at the seams! I think all the sectors should have been play-tested well before the campaign started, along with the players armies & factions to iron out the bugs we're finding now.

For me, there's plenty of scope in AT-43 & the FB Campaign to play as is, including the army books. There's always going to be situations where clarification is needed, but these issues should have been sorted well before the campaign started. And, of course, being a campaign environment, there should have been an umpire and/or voting process set-up for things that always crop up and need extra attention ... Walts

zellakDate: Monday, 06-Feb-2012, 21:14:20 | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Hi Gerry,

If the Karmans and Red Blok want to call a halt to the campaign then there is little point in carrying on.

Unless the UNA wish to contest a Therian /ONi victory ?

As Pavlov has stated that he has dropped out, i assume Aiden has also.

So i await Nemesis opinion.

i have contacted my ally and am awaiting his input on the subject.

A new start might be the best thing. dry (perhaps on a different battlefront ?)

Regards

zellak

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

pavlovDate: Monday, 06-Feb-2012, 21:42:25 | Message # 6
Major general
Hi

Aidan is still willing to play the tramac spaceport game. Aidan is my son but like every other 13 year old he has a mind and a will of his own, there's no way he's going to be influenced by my actions regrdless of what others might think.

Alan

There is f&*k all cool about 10+ civil engineers running around every battlefield

CheDate: Monday, 06-Feb-2012, 21:43:11 | Message # 7
Lieutenant general
I am of the opinion that players want to win rather than enjoy the game. If that continues to be the case I will not be taking part in any future campaigns. angry

Wargamers like to paint their privates!!

pavlovDate: Monday, 06-Feb-2012, 21:45:31 | Message # 8
Major general
Hi

I feel the same as Ian and agree with the above.

Alan

There is f&*k all cool about 10+ civil engineers running around every battlefield

gerrywithaGDate: Monday, 06-Feb-2012, 21:58:27 | Message # 9
Major general
Group: Confirmed
Quote (pavlov)
Aidan is my son but like every other 13 year old he has a mind and a will of his own, there's no way he's going to be influenced by my actions

Yeah, Trust me . We knew that anyway!!!!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin

Gerry

Added (06-Feb-2012, 8:58 PM)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Che)
I am of the opinion that players want to win rather than enjoy the game.

I have an idea for dealing with that, which I'll explain further if we start a new campaign.

One thing everybody needs to realise is that in a campaign players want to enjoy the games but equally that there are players who want to win in the campaign as well. Getting the balamce right is the difficult thing

Cheers

Da'Umpire

And I am watching YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

zellakDate: Monday, 06-Feb-2012, 22:20:13 | Message # 10
Generalissimo
Quote (pavlov)
Hi

Aidan is still willing to play the tramac spaceport game. Aidan is my son but like every other 13 year old he has a mind and a will of his own, there's no way he's going to be influenced by my actions regrdless of what others might think.

Alan

Good. happy

Whats his opinion on continuing the campaign ?

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

ZealyotDate: Monday, 06-Feb-2012, 22:37:57 | Message # 11
Lieutenant colonel
Well i just wanted to say that if you all did start the campaign over Zellak would have some backup playing the therians biggrin , if he would be willing to let me borrow some of his figures that is tongue

"In brightest day,
in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power,
Green Lantern's light!"

pavlovDate: Monday, 06-Feb-2012, 23:25:28 | Message # 12
Major general
Hi

Aidan has said he will play but he thinks the games a bogey since UNA can't catch the opposition he's in on Sunday so you can talk to him then.

Alan

BanksiDate: Tuesday, 07-Feb-2012, 00:57:27 | Message # 13
Major general
I agree with Che and Pavlov, Can we get back to playing for enjoyment rather than the play to win that we have seen recently.

Some of the quirks of our armies are fun to see, difficult to play against and a bit of a challenge.

We need a more sportsman like approach, Where wiping your opponent off the board isn't our only goal.

Most are new to At-43, each army needs different tactics, we are still learning, making mistakes.

We should be helping each other to get better, not just pummeling our opponents cos they make errors.

BalrogDate: Tuesday, 07-Feb-2012, 11:13:54 | Message # 14
Aun Va III
Hi Guys ... I guess we're all floating in the same direction with quitting the Frostbite Campaign, but I think we need to look at what's happened to get us here? For me, the words "Fair Play" are the stumbling block, where we all have different interpretations of what this is.

For me, "Fair Play" is simple ... play by the rules as their written! If I get wiped out by the opposing player using the rules as written I would take my hat off and congratulate him ... if he played by the rules. I don't believe we need to be adding any new rules to AT-43. We just need some clarity on odd quirks that have cropped up as we've been playing and players pointing out possible issues.

I always play wargames to enjoy myself, but what's wrong with wanting to win if I play within the rules? I kid myself on that I'm gracious in defeat when it happens, which is a lot, but as long as both players play by the same rules as written, then what's the problem?? If we do go along the lines of adding rules, then I'll abide by them, as long as I'm made aware of them. We're never going to agree on all rules within the AT-43 rulebook, army books & Frostbite Campaign rulebook, but I think we need to keep them as they are as much as possible, else other problems arise with tweaks we make!

Are we going to call "Foul Play" at every situation where a unit gets wiped out because his opponent fires with his troops and gets some lucky die rolls and then gets sighted by the artillery barrage for the final kill ... "don't worry, I won't fire on you then" ... that just spoils the game if players shout "Foul Play" at anything that works against them!

Let's get the rules, sectors & campaign quirks ironed out as best we can with some play-testing and restart the Frostbite Campaign, as it was written ... Walts

BanksiDate: Tuesday, 07-Feb-2012, 13:59:16 | Message # 15
Major general
I think we all have different views on whats seen as fair play and the things that go with it.

What it isn't "win at all cost"

We all have made mistakes during games, some obvious some not, Some tactical, some to do with placing units.

What I don't see as fair play is winning due to an obvious error by your opponent.

I think that winning the game should be about the choice of units and the tactics used with your units, not the ohh look your 0.001" out you loose. Yes I know that rules state how, where and when to move.
Message edited by Banksi - Tuesday, 07-Feb-2012, 15:03:47

zellakDate: Tuesday, 07-Feb-2012, 17:59:50 | Message # 16
Generalissimo
Back on topic....finishing the current campaign.

Tom is in New Zealand, and has been in contact.

We are both in agreement that if we are declared winners, then are happy to see the campaign terminate now.

Added (07-Feb-2012, 4:59 PM)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (pavlov)
Aidan has said he will play but he thinks the games a bogey since UNA can't catch the opposition

By that statement i assume he thinks it pointless to continue.

So now we need only await Nemesis assessment.

Message edited by zellak - Tuesday, 07-Feb-2012, 16:13:41

pavlovDate: Tuesday, 07-Feb-2012, 19:26:03 | Message # 17
Major general
Hi

Before we have a lap of honour I'd like to ask a question of Hugh, on Sunday had Ian used the Karmic warrior twice or not called "concentrate fire" before using concentrate fire etc etc would you have corrected his mistake, would you have pointed out the error and played on.

Alan

zellakDate: Tuesday, 07-Feb-2012, 19:40:55 | Message # 18
Generalissimo
Quote (pavlov)
Hi

Before we have a lap of honour I'd like to ask a question of Hugh, on Sunday had Ian used the Karmic warrior twice or not called "concentrate fire" before using concentrate fire etc etc would you have corrected his mistake, would you have pointed out the error and played on.

Alan

Due to the Umpires directions ( see original post, page 1 ) i must refrain from answering this post, as i would under normal circumstances. wink

<<<<<<<<<puts on running shoes for lap of honour tongue >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

pavlovDate: Tuesday, 07-Feb-2012, 19:47:20 | Message # 19
Major general
Hi

This was not a point of view nor a personal comment just a question so does not come under the cover of the 1st post.

Alan

zellakDate: Tuesday, 07-Feb-2012, 21:14:28 | Message # 20
Generalissimo
"I would ask that anybody with a point of view please direct their comments to me via this thread, and that we don't get involved with personal comments." quote Da Umpire.

Highlight in bold and punctuation added by me.

Bound by these strictures, personal comments are still off limits.

Forum » Archives » AT-43 - Club, News & Gossip » FINISHING CURRENT CAMPAIGN
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024