RSS

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » 28mm ACW
28mm ACW
p1fxDate: Tuesday, 30-Sep-2014, 22:57:38 | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Confirmed
Hello, anyone got the Black Powder rule set? or another similar set? I am wondering how many mini's on average someone would need for a small army, say 1000 points if it works in points that is. Is it one mini to a man or is one mini representing an entire unit like in some games?
Message edited by p1fx - Wednesday, 01-Oct-2014, 19:04:48

zellakDate: Wednesday, 01-Oct-2014, 16:23:36 | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Member
Hopefully getting a loan of the rules this Sunday.... i have never played them.

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Thursday, 09-Oct-2014, 14:35:31 | Message # 3
Colonel
Ah cool, I have been looking into Pike and Shot a little and if it is similar then 500 points will be a good size army never mind 1000

Added (09-Oct-2014, 1:35 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Did you get a look at Black powder at all? I am a little unsure on it, seems best suited for really big tables or a smaller scale than 28mm. I was thinking of picking up Hail Caesar for a DA army and it is based on the same rule set as BP, saga would be cheaper in terms of building a army but there's just something that puts me off that rule set.

zellakDate: Thursday, 09-Oct-2014, 23:23:46 | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Ha....dont start me about Saga !

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Friday, 10-Oct-2014, 00:04:13 | Message # 5
Colonel
Not a fan of it then?

zellakDate: Friday, 10-Oct-2014, 10:32:20 | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Forgot to say with my last reply....

The guy lending me the BP book wasn't in last week and wont be in this week....but gives me time to paint up more Flintlocke miniatures. happy

Quote p1fx ()
Not a fan of it then?

There are a lot of people like it at the club. So it is popular and you would always get a game if you were to bring in an army.

Which is a good thing.

And ...Hats off to Warlord Games for creating a ruleset that makes Dark Age skirmish wargaming interesting.

However, personally....i dont like rule sets where you have to chase bonuses rather than just fight battles.

( Nor do i like games where players have access to game changing "abilities" which can negate well thought out tactics )

Its all a bit opportunist, hoping to get good dice to fire up the bonuses you need for the tactic you have in mind.

There is nothing wrong with these things as the game is popular, personally its just not my thing.

p1fxDate: Monday, 13-Oct-2014, 15:14:44 | Message # 7
Colonel
Quote zellak ()
And ...Hats off to Warlord Games for creating a ruleset that makes Dark Age skirmish wargaming interesting.

Is it not Gripping Beast who make Saga? I may have a go at DA using one of the osprey rule sets and see if that is any good.

Added (13-Oct-2014, 2:14 PM)
Hmm not sure on the osprey rules either. It is looking more and more like any DA army will have to be put on hold until there happens to be a rule set I like (and that people play), same goes for a few periods unfortunately :(.
So it looks like I may have to just stick purely with Kings of War and fantasy armies for now.

Some of the games I literally can find no real information on how they play or battle reports to watch, GW are greedy gits but their games are much better documented and publicised by fans.
Message edited by p1fx - Monday, 13-Oct-2014, 15:25:50

RMcNDate: Tuesday, 14-Oct-2014, 23:54:52 | Message # 8
Lieutenant colonel
zellak
Ha....dont start me about Saga !

Hmm, well zellak after watching you wargame for over 10 years - most of the time you don't like rules sets that take you out of control of what your troops can do. You liked Seventh edition, You like FOG. You did like 40K. Most of these rules I would say require lots of reading a good solid background in the rules set and an invested interpretation of these rules over many hours and days. I do remember the long nights at Mr Hunter's where there could be a 2 hour loud debate whether in seventh edition a particular unit carried a particular weapon or not that would then be added to a myriad of pluses and minuses. The debate between Mr Hunter and yourself you enjoyed as much as the battle - if not more. You are not alone in the club in wanting rules that satisfy those interests.

But Saga like other games offer a quick touch into a period with fairly simple quick to play rules using 25 to 60 figures - one that has been lacking for the Dark Ages in 28mm unless you were trying the flat DBA, or Hordes of the Things. Or unless you want to get bogged down in just rules, and tactics that exploit those rules. Saga like Too fat Lardies removes the god view other rule sets offer - where as a CinC you see everything and all your stuff moves at once. Instead you can consider your plans but the dice can curb your plans. I was surprised with your interest in AT43, even Bolt Action in your way (SciFi) that offer some randomness and only select pieces to move.

The problem with Saga is that they went to publish with too many errors in their original rule book, they brought out factions in later expansions that were too powerful (especially in a multi-player scenario) - I would like to think there enthusiasm got the better of them rather than they turned GW dark (new release is always the best!) They rely on a website to correct errors but it requires trawling through the Blogs - not ideal. I don't remember you playing it at the club but know you have played it a Ian B's with another who loves to tear through rules and stalwartly enforces his opinion. So not surprised you don't like Saga. The new book of rules the Crescent and the Cross has tried to bring the new Crusader with the newer abilities brought in by the expansion sets of tribes together and bridge to the first 4 races that were left standing still.

Added (14-Oct-2014, 10:54 PM)
zellak

.i dont like rule sets where you have to chase bonuses rather than just fight battles.

Don't most wargames require certain bonuses to be achieved to either wipe out an enemy unit or force them into a break test?
Since playing Howard for months against his Anglo Danes while I tried out other tribes I found out this;
Chase those 6's for the best effects you will fail.
Putting it all on Saga abilities and not on movement, or forgetting to consider the scenario you will fail.
Worrying about what the opponent is going to do to you - rather than what you can do to make the best of your turn and possibly hold until your opponent activates - you will most likely fail.
Just because you don't have any bonuses doesn't mean you can't give the opponent a bloody nose (metaphorically) and make him worry about your warband in his turn.

I liked the original intro to Saga - don't try to learn all of the tribes / nations. Instead learn how to use one, and use it well under any circumstance.
Plus with only 6 or 7 turns and starting a move apart - usually no where to hide in most scenarios when one V one.

The scenarios are pretty good, and a few decent ones on the Tomahawk website.

p1fx
Hmm not sure on the osprey rules either. It is looking more and more like any DA army will have to be put on hold until there happens to be a rule set I like (and that people play), same goes for a few periods unfortunately :(.

Could I say if you like KoW - quick and brutal, with a fairly simple rule set you would like Saga provided you can give up the = well lets call it the GOD COMPLEX - see all and move all completely under your control. Saga can be played in 2 hours and is a little more colourful and diverse than DBA which can be played in similar time scales. A 4 player battle can take 4 to 5 hours with 6 point armies each. We have a Battle report on this site for the Bloody Succession - written and some pics. As to video / editing etc that would take other areas of skill and time most of us don't have.

Well that's the longest I've been on the forum for months. Expect it will be months again before I get time - so time to look out next painting set of figs, and consider a scenario for Sunday!

bye

p1fxDate: Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 18:17:36 | Message # 9
Colonel
Quote RMcN ()
Could I say if you like KoW - quick and brutal, with a fairly simple rule set you would like Saga provided you can give up the = well lets call it the GOD COMPLEX - see all and move all completely under your control. Saga can be played in 2 hours and is a little more colourful and diverse than DBA which can be played in similar time scales. A 4 player battle can take 4 to 5 hours with 6 point armies each. We have a Battle report on this site for the Bloody Succession - written and some pics. As to video / editing etc that would take other areas of skill and time most of us don't have.

Will have to have a look at the report and look a lot more into saga then.

Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » 28mm ACW
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024