RSS

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » Finding new players
Finding new players
zellakDate: Monday, 29-Sep-2014, 21:16:46 | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Member
I have updated our club profile on Beasts of War and Frothers in an effort to find more players for the club.

We now have a very big hall. It should be full of wargamers. biggrin

Would anyone like to lend a hand spreading the word on the net ?

Added (29-Sep-2014, 8:16 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Just added Warlord Games.

Message edited by zellak - Monday, 29-Sep-2014, 20:57:48

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Tuesday, 14-Oct-2014, 13:56:43 | Message # 2
Colonel
Group: Confirmed
Since nobody else is going to, I will throw my pennies worth out there....

Facebook page needs sorting out, either delete or add new posts as it looks like the club is dead from that point of view.

Do you have an advert up in the model shop in Ayr? and the shops like Static in Glasgow?

Ever considered doing some videos for youtube of the club? not just battle reports but also videos of terrain set ups, game reviews etc?

Perhaps also put up some of the clubs pics on somewhere like flickr or tumblr.

Has the club got a blog online?

Arranging and advertising some tournaments or such things could help, perhaps a games day to show off the club? or a tournament for something easy to pick up to pull in some folk? perhaps a inter club competition to help spread the word about your club through members of other clubs?

zellakDate: Tuesday, 14-Oct-2014, 16:50:42 | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Thanks for the input. smile

At least someone is interested. rolleyes

Was beginning to think no one ever uses this forum. wink

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Tuesday, 14-Oct-2014, 18:07:12 | Message # 4
Colonel
Well I saw the thread almost as soon as you posted it, but being unable to attend the club I didn't think it was something I should comment on. However seeing as nobody else did I thought I would say something.

Added (14-Oct-2014, 5:07 PM)
I actually have a old video camera, just need some blank DV tapes.

Flickr and Tumblr are easy to get going.

Tournaments could deff help bring people in on a short term basis, but some would hopefully transfer into full members. These would probably be best done for popular games like 40k (*****), saga, warmachine, BA, dreadball etc but could work for games like KoW too.

A inter club competition could be fun for members of both clubs and since there are a few clubs down in south Ayrshire then surely it would not be too difficult to set up say an annual north v's south competition?

RMcNDate: Tuesday, 14-Oct-2014, 21:53:47 | Message # 5
Lieutenant colonel
All good ideas - and we have talked about them in the past. But would require someone we would want to represent us on these forums who would be interested in doing that. Often the most difficult issue at the club - WHO IS GOING TO DO IT! At the moment we we have have the wax and wane of preferred games. Now trying to get 40K players in regularly is an issue. As well as the proverbial "So what are you doing next week?" Typical answer "I Dunno". Then things change as the week goes on and not everyone is in the loop.

I suggest we talk to our expert in residence Waltz - I am sure he set up the Facebook so might know of a way to link these posts.

We are in touch with Static and get the discount but not aware they have space to put up a poster about us - don't remember that being offered.
The guy in Ayr has no problem with the information being displayed - was a bit dismayed he wouldn't consider membership links we had 20-30 people then now have over 40 and see 20-25 members at the club most weekends. The issue is we could have 50 - 100 in the venue and it would just look a wee bit full.

p1fxDate: Tuesday, 14-Oct-2014, 23:42:28 | Message # 6
Colonel
[color=yellow]
Quote RMcN ()
I suggest we talk to our expert in residence Waltz - I am sure he set up the Facebook so might know of a way to link these posts.
<br /><br /> It's not so much the linking up of posts etc it is more the issue of the facebook page being stagnant and there not being a recent post in a very very long time the last I checked. Things like facebook are a great promotional tool but they need to be maintained to work. <br /><br />
Quote RMcN ()
As well as the proverbial "So what are you doing next week?" Typical answer "I Dunno". Then things change as the week goes on and not everyone is in the loop.
<br /><br /> Yup, always an issue with a club but it is vitally important that you can show on sites what at least a few of the members are doing to show that you are playing games andso on. <br /><br />
Quote RMcN ()
We are in touch with Static and get the discount but not aware they have space to put up a poster about us - don't remember that being offered.
<br /><br /> Really? I just asked him to put it up, other clubs have theirs up (on the security things by door etc) same as I did with old tom in his shop. <br /><br /> As for who is responsible or who represents, well you would hope that a few people at least would be interested in helping with things such as youtube. It is no good people sitting about wanting new opponents etc and yet not being willing to help put something back into the club they attend. <br /><br />
Quote RMcN ()
The issue is we could have 50 - 100 in the venue and it would just look a wee bit full.
<br /><br /> That sounds a little defeatist, like you don't want more members as the venue would be too full. Surely if your getting 50-100 people then you can afford to then look at bigger venues? I think the club needs to decide firstly if it actually wants to attract more players or just cater for those it has, as it sounds to me that there is a little conflict between opinions on that matter within the club. <br /><br />
Message edited by p1fx - Tuesday, 14-Oct-2014, 23:43:58

RMcNDate: Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 00:27:31 | Message # 7
Lieutenant colonel
p1fx
That sounds a little defeatist

Er not defeatist - its just such a large hall! The point is it is used for weddings, conventions, etc. and can accommodate 100s of people easily. After being in a hall less than a quarter the size of it - it has been difficult for our recent change to this venue (only since Sept 2014) to adjust to the size of the new venue.

And its not CONFLICT about what we want for the club. We have a bigger and better venue. GREAT. We want more people to COME TO THE CLUB if they want - GOOD! But it is up to the members of the SOCIAL CLUB - who COME to the CLUB to be prepared to do more than just turn up.

I started at the club 12 years ago we had 10 -15 people, then in around 2007 it dropped for 6 months to 2-4 people. Many wanted to let it die there and then as they could not be bothered advertising for the club. I took a more active role, we advertised (No facebook etc then). More came on board, others returned, work was delegated to those who were prepared in the social group to take more active role. We now have (thanks in particular to this website) 20 -25 regularly attending and around 40 associated members of our SOCIAL GROUP. But work commitments, family demands, teenagers growing up and starting life all affect the group dynamics. And those that have had the skill and time to look after the technical Website etc have not been in for a while due to work etc.

So your previous points on Facebook, Flikr, Tumblr are appreciated and noted. We will pass it on. Hopefully someone will take it up.

p1fxDate: Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 00:53:20 | Message # 8
Colonel
Quote RMcN ()
I started at the club 12 years ago we had 10 -15 people, then in around 2007 it dropped for 6 months to 2-4 people. Many wanted to let it die there and then as they could not be bothered advertising for the club. I took a more active role, we advertised (No facebook etc then). More came on board, others returned, work was delegated to those who were prepared in the social group to take more active role. We now have (thanks in particular to this website) 20 -25 regularly attending and around 40 associated members of our SOCIAL GROUP. But work commitments, family demands, teenagers growing up and starting life all affect the group dynamics. And those that have had the skill and time to look after the technical Website etc have not been in for a while due to work etc.

Surely if you managed it before you can again, surely all of the problems you list existed then as now?

Quote RMcN ()
But it is up to the members of the SOCIAL CLUB - who COME to the CLUB to be prepared to do more than just turn up.

I could not agree more, if your regulars are not prepared to put something back into the club then you have a bit of a problem, as you do if the regulars are oblivious to the issue. Turning up each week is great, but at the end of the day lets face it, people turn up because they want to play games, they turn up for their own benefit. Surely it is not too much to ask them to put a small bit back into the club they attend? If I was able to attend on a regular basis then I would have no problem with putting a little back into the club, it's the way clubs work otherwise you just have a private gaming group.

Added (14-Oct-2014, 11:53 PM)
Not sure why your trying to come across as so hostile though fella, I am not having a go or anything just saying my opinion, and at the end of the day I only mentioned my suggestions because none of the members of your "SOCIAL CLUB who COME to the Club", as you put it, were bothering to contribute any ideas. chill out.

BanksiDate: Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 14:13:07 | Message # 9
Major general
Group: Administrators
Good point about the Facebook page, it's certainly a more popular way of communication.

Who owns it?

Couldn't we post the whats happening on two places- Facebook and our web page, cut and paste so to speak.

I totally agree about the great opportunity to expand our membership and update our webpage at the same time.

Of course I know your name, it's your face I can't remember - Parahandy

BanksiDate: Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 14:16:40 | Message # 10
Major general
I've had a look at the Facebook page, it's totally open, suggest it could be better with a membership option, less likely to be spammed if it is.

Of course I know your name, it's your face I can't remember - Parahandy

p1fxDate: Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 14:21:07 | Message # 11
Colonel
Quote Banksi ()
Who owns it?

Well technically whoever set it up, but in reality nobody should as it is the clubs page. A few people should have admin rights or the password to be able to log in and post things so the work load is not placed purely on one person.

Quote Banksi ()
Couldn't we post the whats happening on two places- Facebook and our web page, cut and paste so to speak.

It really is just that easy, you could do it for more than just facebook too, google+ etc.

Quote Banksi ()
I've had a look at the Facebook page, it's totally open, suggest it could be better with a membership option, less likely to be spammed if it is.

No open is better, you can set it so that only certain people can actually post though, or so that everyone can post but the public initially see only posts by the club. you can set it so non members can read posts too. But setting it as a closed or private group means only members can see anything which defies the point of having it as a way to interact with non members etc.
Message edited by p1fx - Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 14:21:37

pavlovDate: Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 14:43:36 | Message # 12
Major general
Hi

No a facebook page should be members only and MEMBERS that show at the club and contribute to the club, if that offends then tuff.

Alan

There is f&*k all cool about 10+ civil engineers running around every battlefield

p1fxDate: Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 15:04:56 | Message # 13
Colonel
Quote pavlov ()
No a facebook page should be members only and MEMBERS that show at the club and contribute to the club, if that offends then tuff.

So that prospective members can not see what is going on at the club? or ask questions about the club? So that other facebook groups and organisations such as the ones which promote clubs and events in Scotland can not see or share things occurring at the club?

If your after a exclusive and private thing then facebook is not the way to go, perhaps a private yahoo group is more the style you want?

Quote pavlov ()
and MEMBERS that show at the club and contribute to the club

Do you have enough of them who contribute more than just showing up in order to achieve the things your aiming for? I got the impression that was part of the issue, trying to get people to contribute more?

pavlovDate: Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 18:18:35 | Message # 14
Major general
Hi

Prospective members can see whats happening and what we do from the web site if a prospective member wants more information then it would be polite of them to come in and have a chat with the members and get a look at what were doing on the day rather than coming on the forum asking questions.

Is the aim just to increase members as it would seem some clubs are resistant to approaches as they see it as poaching.

Alan

There is f&*k all cool about 10+ civil engineers running around every battlefield

p1fxDate: Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 18:49:11 | Message # 15
Colonel
Quote pavlov ()
Prospective members can see whats happening and what we do from the web site if a prospective member wants more information then it would be polite of them to come in and have a chat with the members and get a look at what were doing on the day rather than coming on the forum asking questions.

If they are aware of the website or are active enough to look it up, never under estimate how lazy some folk are in terms of information gathering.

Also expecting them to pop in just to chat or answer a few questions is not always going to be satisfactory for some, esp those who live outside of Irvine.

Quote pavlov ()
Is the aim just to increase members as it would seem some clubs are resistant to approaches as they see it as poaching.

I would imagine it depends on how you approach them and what you are approaching them about, I don't see how any other clubs could see a invitation to a annual competition for example as an attempt to poach their members. Besides, are some people not members of more than one club? seems a bit school yard if you have to only be a member of one club exclusively.

pavlovDate: Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 21:38:07 | Message # 16
Major general
I would imagine it depends on how you approach them and what you are approaching them about

Having approached another local club within the last day and effectively been told to fuck off in no uncertain terms not all clubs want to play with others, by the way this was done with the highest level of diplomacy on my part since it was done on the behalf of the club so that both parties could benefit.

Why don't we ask the evil empire guy over since a lot of his customers don't play in the shop but might play at the club biggrin

p1fxDate: Wednesday, 15-Oct-2014, 22:04:15 | Message # 17
Colonel
Quote pavlov ()
Why don't we ask the evil empire guy over since a lot of his customers don't play in the shop but might play at the club

I don't know who the new manager is down in Ayr, it is about the 4th one in a few years though. But if you can let some of the customers know then they will spread the word themselves too.

Quote pavlov ()
Having approached another local club within the last day and effectively been told to fuck off in no uncertain terms not all clubs want to play with others, by the way this was done with the highest level of diplomacy on my part since it was done on the behalf of the club so that both parties could benefit.

Well your not gonna win em all. But that is a bit odd though to be honest. I can only imagine how they would react if one of their players was also a member of another club, would they tar and feather him?

Especially odd when you consider I know of a few clubs at least who would be happy to travel for something like that if done well, and those are clubs from Glasgow and England. I know both have travelled further than that before for a games day.

Added (15-Oct-2014, 8:57 PM)
Who did you approach? Ayr? Prestwick? the ayr group from the library?

Added (15-Oct-2014, 9:04 PM)
Do you know what at the end of the day even if another club did not want to take part you can still have a annual tournament or so just amongst members of the club, you can even put a twist on it such as town v town with the players being in teams with at least one being from whatever town they are representing etc just something a little different.

MorgothDate: Thursday, 16-Oct-2014, 01:02:17 | Message # 18
Major general
Hey Guys ... It was one of the young guns that created the FB page ... Curtis perhaps?

Facebook is an ideal platform for communication to the masses, but does need constant monitoring! Ideally, one open group for everyone in the world to post on to help attract new members would be good. BUT ... spammers, idiots and the usual riff-raff will post cack on it if they can get away with it, so an administrator is needed to monitor/delete bad posts.

I know the Prestwick club has a closed FB group and only club members can post/see what's going on, but WHY!? They have a perfectly good website to post on to say what's happening. NOW they have the situ where possible new members have no idea what the club does or runs ... a CLOSED FB group is a bad idea if you already have a club website which does the same. If you have two environments that do exactly the same thing, who knows where to go to post/see what's current and playing during game nights ... it's mental and extremely confusing, even to me, a seasoned geek!

Clubs are about attracting members and making them welcome, which our Chairman & Sec do extremely well (and many members also help with!), so it should be open to everyone to see, but only members can post, exactly like our website is now. Our website could do with more blogs on assembling/painting models, tips & tricks on painting/scenery, ongoing game projects to add more flavour, but as Ross rightfully mentioned, life gets in the way for most of us!

Quote pavlov ()
Having approached another local club within the last day and effectively been told to f%®k off in no uncertain terms not all clubs want to play with others, by the way this was done with the highest level of diplomacy on my part since it was done on the behalf of the club so that both parties could benefit.

WOW ... I'm seriously shocked by that!!! What a disgraceful attitude for a club to have to a new visitor!!! sad

I personally think our club is the best in Scotland, for numbers, variety of games, making new visitors welcome, run extremely well and plenty of "friendly banter" to warm the blood! wink ... Looking forward to this Sundays visit ... Walts

"The thing's hollow .. it goes on forever .. and .. oh my God! ... it's full of stars!"

p1fxDate: Friday, 17-Oct-2014, 17:42:19 | Message # 19
Colonel
Quote Morgoth ()
BUT ... spammers, idiots and the usual riff-raff will post cack on it if they can get away with it, so an administrator is needed to monitor/delete bad posts.

Yup you will always have the spam etc it is the risjk you take with any site or page, but if kept on top of the should be no issues.

Quote Morgoth ()
I know the Prestwick club has a closed FB group and only club members can post/see what's going on, but WHY!? They have a perfectly good website to post on to say what's happening. NOW they have the situ where possible new members have no idea what the club does or runs ... a CLOSED FB group is a bad idea if you already have a club website which does the same. If you have two environments that do exactly the same thing, who knows where to go to post/see what's current and playing during game nights ... it's mental and extremely confusing, even to me, a seasoned geek!

Yup, having both but only using the closed one is certainly a bit daft.

There is nothing wrong with having a closed group as well as the open page that the public can see, many clubs have a page for the public and a group for private members conversations

Quote Morgoth ()
WOW ... I'm seriously shocked by that!!! What a disgraceful attitude for a club to have to a new visitor!!!

Deffo, esp from an organisation claiming to be a club, perhaps they need to look up the differences between a private group and a proper club.

Added (16-Oct-2014, 4:53 AM)

Quote Morgoth ()
I personally think our club is the best in Scotland, for numbers, variety of games, making new visitors welcome, run extremely well

And it has to be one of the oldest and long running clubs, all great things but unfortunately the club is not one of Scotland's best known, that can change though. It is extremely difficult to turn a good club bad but it really shouldn't be too hard to spread the word about a good club, esp if the members pull together. Yes life gets in the way, but nobody is asking for a massive commitment, members are painting and collecting anyway so what is wrong with them taking a few pics for the site? or just jotting down a few ideas regarding a game, army or so as a blog on the site?

I just find it a shame that so many people seem unaware of the club yet it has been going for over 20 years has it not.

BTW Do you attend conventions etc as a club or as individuals?

Added (17-Oct-2014, 6:42 AM)
I wonder if a couple of members who are interested in promoting the club could perhaps form a sort of demo team, they could raise awareness of the club by putting on demo games at cons in Glasgow etc just a thought.

Added (17-Oct-2014, 4:42 PM)
BTW are not both Sailor Tom and Walter both members of this club and Prestwick?

Message edited by p1fx - Thursday, 16-Oct-2014, 05:53:22

zellakDate: Friday, 17-Oct-2014, 18:11:16 | Message # 20
Generalissimo
Quote p1fx ()
BTW are not both Sailor Tom and Walter both members of this club and Prestwick?

Yep

Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » Finding new players
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024