[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » Mantic games
Mantic games
BanksiDate: Saturday, 25-Aug-2012, 10:05:10 | Message # 41
Major general
Group: Administrators
I do hope this isnt another game where we get a rule book and start changing the rules, adding and subtracting etc. The rules are only just out, we have only played a hand full of games but now we dont like whats written and want more!!!

Shades of AT-43 I think!!!

Far be it from me to put my foot in and spoil others fun but based of previous experiences, alter the rules then count me out.

The shooting of an Archduke caused less hassle.

Of course I know your name, it's your face I can't remember - Parahandy

RMcNDate: Saturday, 25-Aug-2012, 10:24:52 | Message # 42
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Member
I do not like to spend 1 hour taking out 40 mins per unit only to be putting them back in the box an hour and a half later.

For a 28mm figure game my only complaint is that it has the waiver and route too closely set. BUt then that is the aim of the rules - quick and simple.

It is a set of rules ideally set for 15mm. Or like zellak you plan to permanently glue the figures to a base like Battlemasters.

But then its just a bigger DBA/Hordes.

For me its adjusting to s different mindset. I'm really playing Hordes of things with GW play style with a twist. But could play 4 games in an afternoon.

I did say to zellak that we could use FOG for terrain setup to get some randomness - as terrain can make a difference to the game.

Like Banksi I need to play more games as the rules are - I need to adjust my thinking to them. Not the other way round.

ZealyotDate: Saturday, 25-Aug-2012, 10:52:20 | Message # 43
Lieutenant colonel
Quote (Nemesis)
How about -1 for attackers in melee on all to hit rolls only and +1 for defenders to hit rolls only.
Range modifier of +3 inches per level of hill for missile troops with ability to shoot over own troops. range reduction of -3 inches when shooting uphill. What think???

There are already allowances for this in the game system, the attacking unit will receive a -1 to its to hit rolls as it will either count as a disrupted charge on the part of the attackers or that the defenders are in a defensive position.

Quote (Nemesis)
Was thinking of speaking about cost of magic items as well as only being able to have one artifact type on battle field notably missile weapons i.e. only one unit may be equipped with piercing arrows in the army or brew of haste --- would like to propose that if you equip a unit with magics the cost is for every 10 (ten) models (if INFANTRY), or 5 (five) models (if CAVALRY) with NO restriction on how many times it can be copied in the army building phase.

EXAMPLES --- 2 regiments of "Ironwatch" Dwarves could both be fielded with "piercing arrows" at an additional cost of +10 points per unit --(140 points each)-- COST = unit points cost (130 points) + 2 X COST OF ITEM (5 points) (20 FIGURES IN UNIT) = 140 points each

The following rule would apply for max number of items per unit

1) HEROES --- max of 4 (four) items:
2) INFANTRY up to 10 figures --- 1 item:
3) INFANTRY 11-20 figures & CAVALRY up to 5 figures --- 2 items:
4) INFANTRY 21-30 figures & CAVALRY up to 10 figures --- 3 items and
5) INFANTRY 31+ figures & CAVALRY 10+ figures --- 4 items

No offence but this is yet another glorious example that people who haven't read the rules or played the game yet should NOT!!!!!! make suggestions for in house rules because the have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. Every single thing you've said about magical items is completely irrelevant because it already states in the KOW rules that:

"Each unit can have a single artefact chosen from the list below, which is
normally carried by the unit’s Leader. The cost of
the artefact is added to that of the unit.

Unless the artefact specifies otherwise, the
following limits also apply:

• Each artefact is unique and therefore can
only be chosen once per army.
• War Engine units cannot choose artefacts.

• Monster units cannot choose artefacts (but
Hero units definitely can).

• Living Legends (i.e. units with a [1] limit)
cannot choose artefacts."

This was taken from KOW rulebook page44 and is also on page 23 of the free download basic rules on the Mantic site.

so for god sake people can we all actually have a proper read at the rules before we start posting suggested rules changes or "in house rules" because i really like this game and i don't want it to go the way the AT-43 campaigns went.

Quote (Nemesis)
but a wee bit of complexity often helps

The final thing I wanted to say is that KOW IS a simple system and that's what's good about it. If you want a system that's more complex do what Walter's done and get an army for Warhammer Fantasy

Rant Over, For Now
Zealyot
Message edited by Zealyot - Saturday, 25-Aug-2012, 10:52:48

"In brightest day,
in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power,
Green Lantern's light!"

zellakDate: Saturday, 25-Aug-2012, 14:21:45 | Message # 44
Generalissimo
I think this thread proves that the problems encountered during AT-43 online rule debates are still fresh in everyones minds.

Better, i think, to leave the issues to face to face discussion.

Added (25-Aug-2012, 2:21 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Quote (RMcN)
zellak mentioned with the FAQs the Heal charm being used on the Army standard bearer to then heal units. But as I read it it can only be used by heroes, and ONLY the HERO gains the Heal skill.

There are two different items one gives Regeneration (3 dice that heal only the hero on a 4+) and Healing Charm which can cure other units (3 dice / 4+ needed). The cheapest way to use a healing charm is to equip a standard bearer (who is a hero) with one.
He can then use the item on other units (even units in contact with the enemy ! ; we played that wrong on Sunday.)

The other thing we got wrong was War Machines, they all have Reload ! ....so cannot move and fire.
Message edited by zellak - Saturday, 25-Aug-2012, 14:28:25

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

RMcNDate: Saturday, 25-Aug-2012, 14:33:03 | Message # 45
Lieutenant colonel
Huh, so I was right the first time when I thought I could not move and fire!!

Strange they do not list RELOAD on all the War Engines in the army lists.

As to the Heal - in the description it is described as ranged attack of 12" to friendly units. So the Hero gets the skill but uses it on his units. Some of the language in the book is not great. See from the mantic sight there are several typos too.

Anyway made up my army - we will see how it plays out in 15mm.

zellakDate: Monday, 27-Aug-2012, 23:42:30 | Message # 46
Generalissimo
Mantic are releasing a new sci-fi boardgame called Dreadball.

http://quirkworthy.com/2012....he-room

Its on kickstarter at the moment.

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

ZealyotDate: Tuesday, 28-Aug-2012, 00:19:59 | Message # 47
Lieutenant colonel
having a look at it, it actually looks quite good. really like the midgard delvers(forgefathers)(dwarves) models biggrin

"In brightest day,
in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power,
Green Lantern's light!"

Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » Mantic games
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024