Home
Registration
Login
Welcome Guest

RSS

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » Tips on batch painting Orks needed
Tips on batch painting Orks needed
JamieDate: Sunday, 13-Dec-2009, 21:42:59 | Message # 1
Private
Group: Member
Finally going to start painting the close to 200 boys i have.

Any tips on painting 10 a week perhaps?

Thanks ~ Jamie

"We is gonna stomp da universe flat and kill anyfink that fights back. We're da Orks, and we was made ta fight and win."
- Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka

zellakDate: Monday, 14-Dec-2009, 10:09:21 | Message # 2
Generalissimo
You could do them in 20's , if thats how you field them.

Then at the end of the week you have a complete unit...and will have achieved something practical.

Remember , they are wargames miniatures...Not models.

which to be tournament legal must have at least 3 colours and the base painted.

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

Big-GDate: Monday, 14-Dec-2009, 10:13:58 | Message # 3
Admin
Group: Administrators
I'm a cheat! I recommend the dipping method

http://www.dysartes.com/model/painting/Dipping1.php

My RPG blog
http://www.new2rpg.wordpress.com

zellakDate: Monday, 14-Dec-2009, 10:57:29 | Message # 4
Generalissimo
So one of the colours has to be green (skin) and the bases could be green.

I noticed on Sunday most of the Orks were undercoated black (and the Gretchin white).

I'm not sure what colours the clans are now, but when i did my Epic40K orks:

Deathskulls - blue (scavengers)
Goffs - black (hard as nails)
Evil Sunz- red (speed freaks)
Bad moonz- yellow ( rich Orks...loads of HW )
Snakebites- brown + grey (old school types)
blood axes- human camouflage patterns (mercs)

So the hardest ones to do would be the Blood Axes...but they are not real Orks anyway (according to the old fluff) biggrin

So a unit of Goffs would be the easiest.

Set them up and do a production line run of one colour, start with green and do all the bases to get the paint consistancy right. Then do all the arms and faces. Easier said than done i know. Dont bother with eyes or teeth or details of any kind.

Then do the guns in a contrasting colour , maybe red or yellow.

Finally , as you were going so fast they are all a bit messy ...so go round the colours you have done with some black.
And tidy them up.

i reckon you could have a unit done by the end of the week without really killing yourself. smile

Added (14-Dec-2009, 10:57 Am)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Big-G)
I'm a cheat! I recommend the dipping method

You still need to paint them first in at least block colours before you dip them ,Big G

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

Big-GDate: Monday, 14-Dec-2009, 14:30:03 | Message # 5
Admin
I know. But that bits easy :P

My RPG blog

zellakDate: Tuesday, 15-Dec-2009, 11:31:26 | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Anyway , once you have them done to a basic wargames level...ie coloured in, you can add details later.

i.e. teeth and boots and stuff.

As Big G said, you could dip them , but with a mainly black paintjob i would think that would be a waste of time.

CaptainBeakyDate: Tuesday, 15-Dec-2009, 12:22:58 | Message # 7
Top JD!
If you have a bit more time / patience, you could undercoat in Codex Grey, then spray lightly with Skull White from directly overhead. Then use thinned paints in several layers (the most time consuming and tricky part but if you're doing ten at a time it'll be like a factory line) to obtain quick highlights on the flesh and clothes (the theory being that the white spray will fall naturally on the areas where extreme highlights should be and will show through the semi-transparent layers of thinned paint that you are adding), and then add a final thin "wash" (not actually a wash - you should be directing the paint) of very thin Chaos Black where the hardest black shadows / deepest creases should be. Paint the weapons with a dull metallic, wash in thinned black ink mixed with VGC Smoke or Midnight Blue and then hard line the joins etc in Chaos Black to give a neat finish. Do all the bases at the end or in large batches in a very simple manner i.e. drybrushed in only one or two progressively lighter colours over the undercoat.

Either that or pay Ross to do it!

JamieDate: Tuesday, 15-Dec-2009, 17:32:40 | Message # 8
Private
Thanks for the tips guys, hoping to finally start painting the horde after the christmas holidays
Message edited by Jamie - Tuesday, 15-Dec-2009, 17:47:31

"We is gonna stomp da universe flat and kill anyfink that fights back. We're da Orks, and we was made ta fight and win."
- Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka

Big-GDate: Tuesday, 15-Dec-2009, 19:12:33 | Message # 9
Admin
Well You'll have plenty of time duringthe holidays. gives you a little alternative to wrapping pressies.

My RPG blog

Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » Tips on batch painting Orks needed
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024