Home
Registration
Login
Welcome Guest

RSS

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » Terrain questions.
Terrain questions.
p1fxDate: Wednesday, 06-Jun-2012, 20:08:28 | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Confirmed
Just few quick questions regarding terrain.

Firstly, do you guys make a lot of terrain yourselves or do you tend to buy it?

CRUSAD3RDate: Wednesday, 06-Jun-2012, 21:31:46 | Message # 2
Lieutenant
Group: Member
RMcN has made up LOTS of terrain for the club and has picked up a few odd pieces here and there at conventions. We have bought bunkers and hills mainly, we have inherited stuff from other clubs and even from a guy who works in the SECC can give us the artificial grass that they chuck out. So terrain wise we are not the ones that lack terrain. Did I also mention the custom made 4X4 playing boards? Does that answer your question? smile

Cruz

'Cowards die many times before their actual deaths,' Augustus Gaius Julius César.

p1fxDate: Wednesday, 06-Jun-2012, 22:17:16 | Message # 3
Colonel
Are your boards all one piece or are they made up of smaller boards put together? Are your boards painted? I noticed that in a few of the pics the table has had a cloth put over it.

Do you have much urban terrain for 40k?

zellakDate: Wednesday, 06-Jun-2012, 23:28:21 | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Quote (p1fx)
Do you have much urban terrain for 40k?

Wait til you see the piccies of the AT-43 Apocalypse game. surprised

Battle of the Roundabout. biggrin

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Wednesday, 06-Jun-2012, 23:39:43 | Message # 5
Colonel
Looking forward to seeing the pictures smile

Terrain is one of my fav things about wargames, bit odd but I love it lol. I have been making some building ruins myself lately, they aint great though as I aint that skilled and they are made from scrap materials, but they would do the desired job.

I really quite fancy playing a 40k city fight, using the expansion rules.

ZealyotDate: Thursday, 07-Jun-2012, 10:27:53 | Message # 6
Lieutenant colonel
@p1fx

Hey dude it doesn't matter what you're terrain looks like because at least you've taken the time make it unlike half of the rest of us. You just need to remember that wargames terrain is as much about imagination as it is about the actual terrain on the table, I mean seriously half the time we pretend a big grey cloth is the ground for an industrial or sci-fi battle scape tongue

"In brightest day,
in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power,
Green Lantern's light!"

p1fxDate: Thursday, 07-Jun-2012, 13:09:49 | Message # 7
Colonel
[A lot of my terrain has a short life span, either due to it being a bit naff or mostly due to a lack of space to store it. Working on a 4 storey tower/stari well with attached ruins at the moment alongside a pond I am trying to do.

RMcNDate: Thursday, 07-Jun-2012, 23:03:50 | Message # 8
Lieutenant colonel
You just need to look at our club pictures of previous battles to see the terrain we have.

The 4'x4' terrain boards we have a scratch built flat surface with resin river and trees, the other is a injection plastic mold 4'x4' hill with river section. Both painted and textured by a now retired Woodwork technician from a local High School. He used to run a club for the school kids before ill health prevented him from keeping it going. They were donated to us when he retired.

I have used foam board and plasti-card bought from Art stores or donated from people who get access to this stuff from the store they work in or if conferences held at their place of work. The signage then disposed of. So it is always good to ask around locally.

As a club we decided several years ago to offer storage for terrain that all could use, this means members just need to bring their figures. Most of our terrain is for 28mm, we have some 15mm. Trees, hills, fences, walls, buildings (medieval to futuristic), damaged buildings, craters, explosion markers etc, etc. We have basic green cloths 6'x4' (felt as well, GW battlemats), grey, white, and a 4'x4' blue water proof childs play mat that represents ocean effect brilliantly. As Zealyot said the terrain can add to the game but the imagination takes it further.

As to your first question - most of our terrain was scratch built. But as the club has grown and our storage capacity increased the terrain has been replaced or enhanced with bought terrain pieces. But we still get a thrill from scratch built terrain - recently for 20mm Vietnam converted a couple of pet store jungle terrain into a jungle of palm trees. Some of the guys have made terrain that is better than store bought - and unique.

Hope that helps.
biggrin

p1fxDate: Saturday, 09-Jun-2012, 17:56:57 | Message # 9
Colonel
Aye it is a help, cheers.

Yeah having folk who could get access to those materials would help a lot, although I have been considering recycling some of the signs that end up hanging off lamposts as they are kind of a similar material. I have mostly been using thick cardboard covered with plaster for building ruins etc.

Have had a look through the pictures, shame you have not got a album just to show off all that you have.

Added (09-Jun-2012, 5:56 PM)
---------------------------------------------
How do you guys make hedges? I am not that fussed about making trees as I imagine it is quite tricky and you can buy them reasonably cheap.

zellakDate: Saturday, 09-Jun-2012, 18:47:42 | Message # 10
Generalissimo
Depends on scale of miniatures, pan scourers cut into strips do well for 6mm hedges. happy

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Sunday, 10-Jun-2012, 19:12:07 | Message # 11
Colonel
Have heard that but never tried it or seen the end results up close. I have been using lichen from trees to sort of make shrubs etc, but looking for a good way of doing hedges.

Added (09-Jun-2012, 8:49 PM)
I am working in 28mm.

I have hit a snag with my building ruins, not sure what to do with the interior walls, whether to paint them diff colours like they would be if decorated or to just blacken them. Was thinking of trying to add the odd blood splat though.

Added (10-Jun-2012, 7:12 PM)
Skratch that, I am going to give up on terrain making for now, sickened myself looking at really nice boards folk have made or bought, noway on earth can my stuff stand up to the quality of GW's terrain. I will need to re home what I have or scrap it.

BanksiDate: Sunday, 10-Jun-2012, 19:46:08 | Message # 12
Major general
Group: Administrators
Quote (p1fx)
Skratch that, I am going to give up on terrain making for now, sickened myself looking at really nice boards folk have made or bought, noway on earth can my stuff stand up to the quality of GW's terrain. I will need to re home what I have or scrap it.

I'm sure that the guys who make the really nice terrain started off the same way as you have, don't give up. Having a piece of terrain that unique is always a bonus. biggrin

Of course I know your name, it's your face I can't remember - Parahandy

p1fxDate: Sunday, 10-Jun-2012, 19:52:42 | Message # 13
Colonel
Nah tbh I am a bit disgusted at my attempts as they are and to be honest buying materials in order to try and make better quality ones would probably be more expensive than just buying some terrain, esp as I would have to mail order stuff. I think that you are either quite crafty and can make nice things or you aint, I dont think time will make much difference to my level of ability.

zellakDate: Monday, 11-Jun-2012, 16:05:18 | Message # 14
Generalissimo
You can always come over to Irvine on a Sunday and use our stuff. smile

p1fxDate: Saturday, 21-Jul-2012, 21:32:15 | Message # 15
Colonel
Well that was the plan but sunday can be a tricky day for me. Was not making the stuff to play with really as I would be going to a GW or your club to play as I do not have room for a game table etc.

Added (21-Jul-2012, 9:32 PM)
Do the club or members have any terrain which would be suitable for Zone Mortalis? such as space hulk boards etc?

RMcNDate: Sunday, 22-Jul-2012, 10:22:05 | Message # 16
Lieutenant colonel
The club has Space crusade, and there are adapted space hulk tiles. Several of the club members have space hulk old and new and space crusade. There could also be access o Necromunda terrain that could be brought in if warned of in advance.
Message edited by RMcN - Sunday, 22-Jul-2012, 10:22:32

p1fxDate: Sunday, 22-Jul-2012, 19:47:05 | Message # 17
Colonel
Cool, just wanting to try and arrange some games of zone mortalis and kill team alongside some normal 40k, thought it would be an interesting change and could be part of a campaign. Thought I would check on the terrain before hand though otherwise that would have to be the next project lol

Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » Terrain questions.
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024