Home
Registration
Login
Welcome Guest

RSS

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » Kings of War by Mantic » Alternative mini's
Alternative mini's
p1fxDate: Saturday, 27-Sep-2014, 18:59:11 | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Confirmed
Hi anyone got any good sources of cheap mini's to use for building KoW armies? I was thinking of using 1/72 dwarves to represent KoW Gnomes, anyone done such a thing or have any views on someone doing so? Also would there be any strong opposition to the use of things such as skaven and beastmen to represent sylvan kin or lizard men to represent salamanders?

RMcNDate: Saturday, 27-Sep-2014, 20:43:56 | Message # 2
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Member
Since we have used 15mm to play KoW, we easily use 28mm from other sources we use WH fantasy, Wizards of the coast D&D figures - or anything suitable. Just so long as the unit can be easily separated and identified as a type or race. We haven't played KoW for a while - there has just been so much else to do at the moment. But if you come down we have several people who play KoW and could give you a game.

p1fxDate: Saturday, 27-Sep-2014, 23:20:14 | Message # 3
Colonel
I should have mentioned I am building on a very tight budget, mostly just to paint them up (not that I am in any way a great painter) and rather than scouring ebay again, although I may have to eventually, I was thinking of buying stuff new. I am not building any more big armies at the moment, just small ones or warbands so not needing loads of minis. I did ponder over giving the em4 plastics a go, I can live with them all having one static pose for the price tag.

zellakDate: Sunday, 28-Sep-2014, 20:55:09 | Message # 4
Generalissimo
The EM-4 plastic fantasy minis do look good value.

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Tuesday, 30-Sep-2014, 16:09:41 | Message # 5
Colonel
The one static pose for each may put some folk off, but I can live with it, many of my fantasy minis are old one pose gw ones from early 90's anyway. The metal ones from em4 look ok too but I have also found some other companies for cheap minis but some do not have pics of the minis unfortunately so unless anyone has bought mini's from Denizen or Warrior then it would be blind buying sad

I may need to put the forces of nature idea on hold for now and perhaps just get some more humans and goblins and replace the elf hero with a better one.

Added (29-Sep-2014, 3:35 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Anyone ever made their own war machines of any sort by any chance? I am trying to see if I can perhaps build myself a couple of bolt throwers for the goblins.

Added (30-Sep-2014, 3:09 PM)
Oh there's a new product on the em4 plastics I had not seen previously, ACW troops £5 for 20 mini's, not that I am after ACW stuff but still nice price and good to see them adding new ranges.

zellakDate: Tuesday, 30-Sep-2014, 18:11:07 | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Quote p1fx ()
Oh there's a new product on the em4 plastics I had not seen previously, ACW troops £5 for 20 mini's, not that I am after ACW stuff but still nice price and good to see them adding new ranges.

Nice !............ hadn't seen these.

We are planning on dabbling with the Black Powder rules from Warlord Games.

So i will keep these in mind. Cheers smile

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

p1fxDate: Thursday, 16-Oct-2014, 17:49:27 | Message # 7
Colonel
See I was wondering about those rules, what put me off ACW before, apart from costs, was some of the rule sets I saw looked either odd or very complicated. But aye, I am pretty damn sure they were not on the website 2 days ago when I last looked.

Added (30-Sep-2014, 7:23 PM)
The more I look at them the more I want to buy a couple of packs just to see what I can do with them, If you could remove the rifle and replace with a las gun they could make a fun alternative Imperial Guard unit.

Added (16-Oct-2014, 4:49 PM)
Would a catapult be ok using the same rules as a mortar in the Kingdoms of Men list as it seems wrong to use the trebuchet profile for a mere catapult? Just wondering as a catapult would fit better into a couple of the small armies I have drawn up than a actual mortar. For example I was thinking of doing a army from Argos (the Conan novels not the shop) and using hoplites etc as infantry, minotaurs instead of ogres etc to give it the right sort of feel

zellakDate: Thursday, 16-Oct-2014, 19:53:13 | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Not a problem , as long as you pay the right points cost for whatever you want to field.

Its all good ! (as long as its painted happy and your opponent knows what it "counts as" )

p1fxDate: Friday, 17-Oct-2014, 09:11:54 | Message # 9
Colonel
Well the mortar and trebuchet both have similar profiles, but the trebuchet having piercing 3 rather than 2 and costing 10 points more. So the question is really would a catapult have the same piercing power as a trebuchet? if so then I will just use trebuchet profiles for catapults.

Added (17-Oct-2014, 8:10 AM)
Well the mortar and trebuchet both have similar profiles, but the trebuchet having piercing 3 rather than 2 and costing 10 points more. So the question is really would a catapult have the same piercing power as a trebuchet? if so then I will just use trebuchet profiles for catapults.

Added (17-Oct-2014, 8:11 AM)
Actually looking at the profile for the goblin stone thrower it also has piercing 3 so the trebuchet rules should be fine for a catapult.

Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » Kings of War by Mantic » Alternative mini's
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024