[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Meta Wars » General discussion » Bolt Action ; WW4
Bolt Action ; WW4
zellakDate: Monday, 20-Jan-2014, 23:34:00 | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Member
Me and Che are using the Bolt Action rules next Sunday (26 / 1/ 14), to play a USA vs USSR future-war type of battle.

The weapons and troop types are all pretty much generic, so should be no problem getting stuff to "fit".

Missiles and helicopters will need rules. (as BA is WW2 )

Ideas/opinions welcome.

Added (20-Jan-2014, 10:34 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Here is the quick play sheet.

http://warlordgames.com/downloads/pdf/ba-playsheet.pdf

Message edited by zellak - Sunday, 19-Jan-2014, 22:17:18

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

CheDate: Thursday, 23-Jan-2014, 12:30:14 | Message # 2
Lieutenant general
I've downloaded a copy. Sorry can't give any input at the moment as I don't know the rules system yet. I'll go along with whatever you or others suggest.

Wargamers like to paint their privates!!

zellakDate: Friday, 24-Jan-2014, 16:43:11 | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Any questions ?

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

CheDate: Saturday, 25-Jan-2014, 11:25:57 | Message # 4
Lieutenant general
Not yet but wait 'til Sunday biggrin
Message edited by Che - Saturday, 25-Jan-2014, 11:28:45

MorgothDate: Saturday, 25-Jan-2014, 20:08:39 | Message # 5
Major general
Group: Administrators
Hi Guys

Having had a handful of games of BA, I think you should look to just take some of it's rules and apply them to AT43 WWiV. Keep the AT43 armies as they are. Forget about arranging the unit cards and adopt BA's order dice draw for unit activation. The BA Orders would be easy enough to apply to the AT43 rules, including FUBAR! The pinning effect is pretty cool too, so add that to morale checks based on AT43 rules. And, from the top of my head, Close Quarter rules are pretty good, i.e. declare charge, defenders get to react (shoot!) if they haven't been activated yet.

Line of sight in BA is based on "True Line of Sight" ... I think AT43 uses the whole base of the model(?) ... so u could decide which would be best. As everyone's playing the same for LoS, it shouldn't matter what you choose.

Hope that gives you some ideas for the AT43 WWiV game.

Walts

"The thing's hollow .. it goes on forever .. and .. oh my God! ... it's full of stars!"

zellakDate: Sunday, 26-Jan-2014, 20:08:11 | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Thanks for the input, M. happy

Pretty much the idea was to use the BA rules, first deciding what the AT-43 weapons would be classified as in the generic BA weapons list.

(in fact we could change some of the AT-43 weapons....some of the AFV machineguns are way to big to be just machineguns !!! )

And doing everything using BA rules.

Added (26-Jan-2014, 7:08 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Good game today....can see this becoming a regular thing. biggrin

Rules we tried out.

1) 5 man squads comprising either a bazooka or an LMG . ( there was a flamer, but it never got into range.)
this worked ok....quashing the myth that small units do not work in BA.

2) Mechs (striders) counted moving as tracks. Normally equipped with 2 heavy guns, so plenty of firepower.
advantage ; armour the same all round.
disadvantage ; only fire to the front, as no turret.

3) Helicopter (move 24")
counted as medium tank....with 4 barrel HMG....can carry 5 men.

4) Missiles ( fire as heavy gun range and damage)
advantage ; do not count cover when firing.
disadvantage ; can only fire at the halt.

5) Officer was included in a 5 man fire-team, so not fielded alone.
Message edited by zellak - Sunday, 26-Jan-2014, 20:30:43

CheDate: Monday, 27-Jan-2014, 20:18:48 | Message # 7
Lieutenant general
Yeah! Good game. I was pleasantly surprised.

MorgothDate: Wednesday, 29-Jan-2014, 00:27:25 | Message # 8
Major general
If you can match troops, weapons and armour to one army/rules there's no reason you couldn't apply BA to any models you field, and as BA armies share the same basic points formula's, if you want to field a strider that's got heavier armour, match it to a bigger vehicle with flak guns rather than HMG?

If both armies ref one army and pay the same points for everything, it makes life easy to quickly asses what's on the table and have a quick game of BA WWiV without trying to remember all the fluff that comes with AT43 factions.

Warlord Games are looking to create a new set of futuristic rules based on the BA dynamics ...

>>> http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=56

>>> http://www.darkspacecorp.com/

>>> http://www.darkspacecorp.com/wp-cont....ook.pdf (Old [draft] PDF Rules)

... I think they've been in development for some time, but other projects keep taking priority, so they might get done for 2014. Have a look and see if the draft rules can help solve any problems you might think BA WWiV "futuristic" rules need,

Walts

"The thing's hollow .. it goes on forever .. and .. oh my God! ... it's full of stars!"

zellakDate: Wednesday, 29-Jan-2014, 00:48:54 | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Beyond the Gates of Antares is nothing like BA...............unfortunately. sad

Quote Morgoth ()
there's no reason you couldn't apply BA to any models you field,

Aye......bring on the Tau ! wink

Che much enjoyed using a Red Blok army that could shoot straight. happy

MorgothDate: Wednesday, 29-Jan-2014, 07:34:44 | Message # 10
Major general
Quote zellak
Beyond the Gates of Antares is nothing like BA...............unfortunately.

That's strange. Here's what the developers are saying on WG website ...

>>> http://www.warlordgames.com/42292....-system

The game is essentially a Sci-Fi development of Warlord’s existing Bolt Action game system, which means that players familiar with Bolt Action will have a good idea of the basic mechanics of play. We use the same Order dice – although there is wild talk of using a slightly modified version – but the Bolt Action dice does the job. The Order system is also broadly the same as for Bolt Action: each unit has a dice in the dice bag and the players pull one dice at a time to determine which side gets to take an action. The chief difference between Antares and Bolt Action is that the new game uses D10s for most resolution purposes rather than D6s or 2D6.

I haven't read the old PDF rules for donkey's, so it might be that their obsolete based on their new posting?

Tau in the BA WWiV ... yeah, that would work! We'll need to arrange a game sometime ... maybe even this weekend if you can be bothered playing again?

Walts

zellakDate: Thursday, 30-Jan-2014, 10:21:34 | Message # 11
Generalissimo
Well up for another game of Bolt Action ! biggrin

CheDate: Friday, 31-Jan-2014, 22:50:19 | Message # 12
Lieutenant general
[/b][color=red]Best not to think in terms of playing AT-43 with Bolt Action rules. We're playing Bolt Action and just happen to be using AT-43 figures and models. It will save a lot of confusion![b]
Message edited by Che - Friday, 31-Jan-2014, 22:50:52

MorgothDate: Saturday, 01-Feb-2014, 10:57:47 | Message # 13
Major general
Quote Che
Best not to think in terms of playing AT-43 with Bolt Action rules. We're playing Bolt Action and just happen to be using AT-43 figures and models. It will save a lot of confusion!

Yeah ... agree with that 100%, if possible ... but, as you played with helicopters, used missiles and made minor tweaks, it's looking good as BA WWiV!

Some feedback ...

Quote zellak
Mechs (striders) counted moving as tracks. Normally equipped with 2 heavy guns, so plenty of firepower.
advantage ; armour the same all round.
disadvantage ; only fire to the front, as no turret.

Given that most tanks have one heavy gun in BA, even though a Mech model has two guns, we could play it can only fire one at a time during it's turn? If it has two diff gun types ... HMG & Anti-Tank Gun?

Quote zellak
3) Helicopter (move 24")
counted as medium tank....with 4 barrel HMG....can carry 5 men.

I would prefer this type of vehicle to be classed as a transport ... say a "Hanomag" or "M3" sort of thing? Happy to let them fly about the battlefield 'cause they would look so cool! It would suffer from flak fire and the speed kept to 12" as an Advance & 24" as Run order?

Quote zellak
4) Missiles ( fire as heavy gun range and damage)
advantage ; do not count cover when firing.
disadvantage ; can only fire at the halt.

This is where the model would need to relate to a specific BA vehicle, e.g. RPG kolossus = M5 Stuart. Even though it has a missile weapon, it uses whatever weapon is associated with the BA vehicle, so no need for special missile rules?

Quote zellak
5) Officer was included in a 5 man fire-team, so not fielded alone.

Yeah, that's no major problem to play into the game, and effects everyone the same.

For me, matching a model, regardless of how it looks with weapons, size, etc, to a specific BA army/vehicle is key to keeping within the BA rules, and more importantly the points cost for units. Obviously, we need some flexibility and tweaks for the oddballs, e.g. helicopters, flying infantry, ... but BA WWiV could do with some unique rules of it's own!

Walts

zellakDate: Sunday, 02-Feb-2014, 00:47:25 | Message # 14
Generalissimo
We didn't bother with points costs....just had 12 order dice each ...and fielded 12 units ( 1 per dice ) as we wanted.

It was fun for a one shot deal. biggrin

CheDate: Sunday, 02-Feb-2014, 18:43:14 | Message # 15
Lieutenant general
How did it go today?
Message edited by Che - Sunday, 02-Feb-2014, 19:43:47

MorgothDate: Sunday, 02-Feb-2014, 19:51:15 | Message # 16
Major general
We just threw down some units with various weapons and thrashed out the same rules you used before for my Tau army, mainly flying Vespid & Drones.

I think an easy points system for units/weapons would be ideal to balance the game, but, to be honest, I wasn't bothered with what was fielded ... we agreed z had this and I had that and got on with the game.

I just enjoyed seeing my Tau on the table again and got some dice rolling again!

Walts
Message edited by Morgoth - Sunday, 02-Feb-2014, 19:52:28

CheDate: Sunday, 02-Feb-2014, 21:28:04 | Message # 17
Lieutenant general
Cool!

zellakDate: Monday, 03-Feb-2014, 17:12:21 | Message # 18
Generalissimo
Yeah !

What about i start a new thread to get some basic points values for generic armour / troops / weapons.

Then we could try making up armies to taste for BAWW4 ?

I will try and get a loan of Banksi's rules.

CheDate: Monday, 03-Feb-2014, 18:50:02 | Message # 19
Lieutenant general
Sounds like a plan. Walter will want to put in his two penn'orth I'm sure!

MorgothDate: Monday, 03-Feb-2014, 19:11:30 | Message # 20
Major general
Hi Guys

I'm happy for z to lead on the points, especially as we'll all be able to pick from the same numbers, so whatever points are allocated to units, AFV's, Striders, etc, we all get the same.

I suppose some of the fluff that goes along with BA, AT-43, 40k, etc, could be incorporated to the game, with points allocated to have that fluff? An example could be my flying Tau Drones which should cost more cause they can fly and are armoured? BUT, if I didn't want to pay the points for them flying or saying they are armoured, they would be fielded as "normal" inf ... does that make sense?

The fluff will be the headache for creating points I suppose, but you could check AT43 or 40k for an effective ref?

Walts

Forum » Meta Wars » General discussion » Bolt Action ; WW4
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024