Home
Registration
Login
Welcome Guest

RSS

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » Frostgrave Wandering Monsters Table (suggested table for general use.)
Frostgrave Wandering Monsters Table
zellakDate: Sunday, 10-Jul-2016, 19:55:57 | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Member
There is an optional rule for wandering monsters in Frostgrave.

The rules designer suggests you write your own table to fit your miniature collection.

One problem is you get nothing for killing these monsters (except 20 gold for a werewolfs head ) so why bother ?

Second problem they always appear at the same points (middle of either short table edge ) a bit samey....

Here is the idea.

Whenever you pick up a chest roll 1d20.

20 = A frost giant appears carrying a treasure chest and wants the one you just picked up......he is worth 100 xp.
19 = A minor demon appears ...he is worth 20 xp.
18 = 1d3 Skeletons appear ...they are worth 10 xp. each
17= An ice toad appears ....he is worth 20 xp.
16 = A medium construct appears ....he is worth 20 xp
15 = a werewolf appears ....he is worth 20 xp. ( and 20 gold for his head )
14 or less = nothing happens .

Monsters appear 2d6 inches from the chest, use a scatter dice for direction.

I have included each type of control spell... animal / construct / undead / demon.
A huge monster with extra treasure.
And the old faithful....werewolf. biggrin

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

RMcNDate: Sunday, 10-Jul-2016, 22:08:00 | Message # 2
Lieutenant colonel
Looks interesting - I was considring looking at the D&D skirmish to compare to Frostgrave and then we could have an unlimited field of monsters, allies / enemies to fight.
Message edited by RMcN - Sunday, 10-Jul-2016, 22:08:24

zellakDate: Monday, 11-Jul-2016, 09:33:30 | Message # 3
Generalissimo
What do people think of using 2d6 and a scatter dice to determine the position of the monster ( from the treasure token ) ?

I find it a bit samey for the monsters always to appear on the midpoints of the short edges.

Added (11-Jul-2016, 8:33 AM)
---------------------------------------------
You would also need to bring an "unlimited field of monsters" to the club ????

DEMON : " When next we meet, i shall tear you limb from limb...there will be no escape. "

Hero: " You bring balloon animals and i'll hire a clown..... we can make it a regular party. "

RMcNDate: Monday, 11-Jul-2016, 16:24:28 | Message # 4
Lieutenant colonel
Just received my copy of Into the Breeding Pits - monsters appear from Entry zones even the ones used by he players. The Random encounters have options to place a wandering monster anywhere on the board not in any players LOS, and/or place monster 12" away from any player's warband piece, and / or centre of a randomly selected board edge / door entrance / exit. The traps are only set off when players roll a 1 on initiative, then that player decides who has set off the trap on any players warband! There is mention that could also have traps going off on treasure tokens - as an option.

Still to read the rest.

zellakDate: Tuesday, 12-Jul-2016, 10:39:13 | Message # 5
Generalissimo
I'm SO Envious !!!!!

$64,000 question.....do you set up the map.... or dice for corridors /rooms /doors / etc ???????
Message edited by zellak - Tuesday, 12-Jul-2016, 10:42:43

RMcNDate: Tuesday, 12-Jul-2016, 13:29:52 | Message # 6
Lieutenant colonel
It looks like the map is setup and treasure tokens placed - but this time only one player sets them up then the other / rest get a chance to move or veto the placement. If a player disagrees then they must place them and others get to adjust or veto. The scenarios have some specific requirements but can be as the original Frostgrave or set up as a dungeon with dead space. The other main difference is the heights - max set to 10" in the underground. This means some spells either cannot be used like LEAP, or CRUMBLE or are not as good such as MUD, or WALL, or PLANE WALK. There are new spells that can be used as reaction spells to protect a magic used during another players turn - juicy huhh!!

An interesting change is that the Wall spell not as good underground and can be attacked and destroyed when fought at a target of 12!! This is the sort of thing that the Bones of the earth I feel should be - a target to eliminate or else the spell holds, like mind control etc.

Some interesting ideas in the book and another expansion due out in November.

zellakDate: Tuesday, 12-Jul-2016, 22:17:35 | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Sounds good.....any new "must have" magic items or weapons ???????

RMcNDate: Thursday, 14-Jul-2016, 15:44:12 | Message # 8
Lieutenant colonel
Yes - 7 new spells and 13 magical items. Not to mention becoming a Beast crafter. Some nice new twists and add ons.

zellakDate: Thursday, 14-Jul-2016, 22:30:41 | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Sounds good....can you bring it in so I can get a wee shufty at it on Sunday ?

RMcNDate: Friday, 02-Sep-2016, 17:58:05 | Message # 10
Lieutenant colonel
Sure.

Added (02-Sep-2016, 4:58 PM)
---------------------------------------------
I have made up a random dungeon creation based on Frostgrave into the breeding Pits and nod to Advanced Heroquest, D&D Wizards of the coast skirmish game. It is based on D20 rolls. Have ahd a few play test games with Rory and they have all been very interesting and trying. In the last one I found a treasure room with a Snow Troll that preceeded to maul a treasure hunter and my Knight with +2 Strength magic Gloves! Left the wizard rather pale! Plan to try it at the club then post it on the downloads page.

Keep an eye out!

Forum » General Wargaming Discussions » NAWGC Forum » Frostgrave Wandering Monsters Table (suggested table for general use.)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024